High School

Big Jump!

>

SuperNews

SuperNews

Big Jump!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have spent 11 years teaching FIRST grade. I just got hired as a teacher assistant in HIGH SCHOOL!!! Talk about an age difference! I don't think that stickers and a treasure box will work with these kids (or the "teacher look"). I'm also going to need taller shoes so I can at least be eye level. !!!!

I just moved to a new state and was unable to get a teaching position so I am excited to at least have something.

My question to you is...how long will it take for them to put a kick me sign on my back?

teachnkids

Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know. My kids loved the teachers who still took the time to do the sticker thing.

I ran into a HS teacher at Staples the other day and she was looking at eraser rings for prizes. Just saying....
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use stickers...and give the teacher look...all the time! Don't sweat it...they are all still kids!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Oh my!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like an adventure! Remember, there are good kids at the high school level too!
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

HS students
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

are a lot like 1st graders. They just have bigger bodies and active hormones.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Love rewards
Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My own kids loved it when the teachers gave them treats for stuff. Also they would come home and ask to bring in treats for their teachers. (Skittles, M&M's)

Good luck with your new job. My best job was a teaching assistant in Middle School. I had so much fun. I then taught first grade for many years. The teaching assistant was more joyous because there was no after school responsibility.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Congratulations on your new job.
I agree with mHugs. Not sure you will always see muh of a difference between HS and grade 1.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTCHR08

Made the switch
Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I taught my first two years in Kindergarten, I am entering my third year teaching high school! I use the look and stickers and treats. Kids are kids.
FLTCHR08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

High Schoolers
Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There's a delicate balance, I'll admit. High schoolers respect teachers who don't talk down to them. They like to be able to express their opinions and feel as though they are really being heard.

And yet, at the same time, they sometimes love to revert to their "kid selves." I discovered one year that my high schoolers LOVED getting a handful of goldfish crackers as a reward, or as a prize for team review games!

I also use Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land, of all things, for test reviews, at the suggestion of another teacher who had had success with it. I divide them up into groups of 4 or 5; give each group a game and a stack of review questions on index cards. They play the game normally ( and seem to enjoy it quite a bit -- it's nostalgic, I guess ) BUT they have to answer the top question in the stack correctly before their turn, or they forfeit the turn. They're competitive enough to police each other quite well.

Congrats on the new job!!!!
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

they still like the fun stuff.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have taught ninth graders for 4 years. I sometimes do stickers, but it's more stamps on complete paperwork, that sort of thing. They love it. I also have a prize box which they love. I buy all types of stuff for that (gum, erasers, pencils, mini staplers). I also do the pinterest scratch off cards. The scratch off cards are a no cost prize like: listen to music, sit by your friend, homework pass, use notes on a quiz, etc. I think they like those the best. And yes, the teacher stare still works.

katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We were just talking about this in PD today about how high school kids do still love the little kid stuff.

When a kid makes a 100 on something, I turn the 100 into a smiley face. On one set of papers last year I forgot for some reason and one of my sophomore boys asked where his smiley face was.

And trust me, the teacher look still works.

As for the height thing, I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to look up at the vast majority of the boys. I went to visit the kids who went to church camp this summer and one of my seventh (soon to be eighth) graders was all of a sudden a good three inches taller than me. On the other hand, they can hang up the stuff at the top of the wall and I don't have to stand on the desks.
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

High School
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with the other posters. High Schoolers are just little kids in big bodies. They love stickers and prizes.

Mostly they need to feel liked, valued, fairly treated, and grown up. If they get those feelings from you, the height issue will never come up. You won't have any trouble with them. Even the big mean ones will be fightling over who gets to carry the heavy boxes to your car.

You can demand their complience but not their respect. At the high school level, repsect has to be earned.

Have a great year. It will be fun
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

lol
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One of my dd's teachers in 8th grade used to throw candy at them when they got the right answer!! They would catch it!! lol
They're just bigger babies that think they have to act cool!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

missenglish

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I totally agree with Mme. Escargot and Xcaped. High school kids respect someone who respects them. Contrary to popular belief (I was even given this advice when I first started), you don't have to be a total hard@ss to "make it" in high school. Yes, I am firm in what I say, but I never speak in a demeaning or ugly way. I talk to my kids on the first day of school about respect and how important that it is that we respect each other. I tell them that I will not yell at them, but they are expected to behave appropriately.

We just started school Monday. On Monday, I laid everything out as far as class procedures and rules go, and I haven't had much trouble. I had a couple of kids try to "test" me, but I corrected them firmly, which solved the issue. We had the talk about respect on day 1, but some kids tend to "forget". Today I was explaining something and two kids were trying to have a whisper conversation, so I firmly said, "As I said on day one, you will not speak while I am speaking. Consider this a warning" and that was the end of it. Consistency is the key. I say what I mean and mean what I say.

I also wanted to mention how important it is to develop relationships with high school students. It just can't be all business or they will never truly respect you or even do the best they can in class. They may listen to you in class, but they won't reach their full potential because your pushing them is meaningless if they think you don't care. Kids will do anything for you if they know you care.

My kids last year did amazing on state testing because I pushed them and believed in them. My inclusion class (which was the class I had the best relationship with) actually outscored one of my regular classes.

BTW, the kids love candy. I give out tickets during the week for good behavior and on Friday I pull 1-2 names from each class. The winners get a small item of their choice. (lead pens, candy bag, cute folder, etc.) They love this and never let me forget "to pull."
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

OneOldGoat

what a great thread!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm moving from 6/7th to high school (9th & a few 10th) math. I was going to ask what I could expect to be different from MS. It's nice to know that they are still "kids" at heart.
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

One More Thing
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I've seen it cause trouble for folks making the transition from elementary to high school...

The males like to be called guys or men..not boys

The girls don't care if you refer to them as girls
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote