High School

Attendance

>

SpecialAnne

Attendance
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a new policy...

if they miss 15 minutes of class they are consider absent for the day...this includes "can I use the bathroom?" and then wander the halls...but also includes leaving at the end for an appointment!

7 absences (excused or unexcused) can equal no credit! They can appeal any decision and have an appointment...

The absences include all the state tournaments, family vacations etc

I am kinda liking it..especially for those that miss a bunch and then want all their work to make up and think they have earned a credit!

Thoughts?

SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Absences
Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They would have no complaints from me. I am surprised, however, that absences due to school-related competition / games would count. When I was teaching high school ( and even sometimes in middle school ) it seemed like the football team had to miss most of 7th period several times during football season.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 09-30-2013, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I disagree with excused absences being counted. Having a child with medical issues there were years where many more than 7 classes were missed, especially the classes that were late in the day or the class period that met every day.

I also can't see how a school related function could count as a mark against them.

I do agree with the wandering the halls or coming late from a previous class without a note from attendance, admin, or the counselor.

SpecialAnne

Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Really all those legit excuses wouldn't affect them...it is just away to stop the chronically absent from saying that all that stuff is favored over their excuses!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Won't credibility be lost when it is found that excused absences are not really included even though the "policy" says they are?

What is a policy if it is never intended to be followed? If this one isn't really followed, how can any of the other school's policies be seen as credible and non-negotiable?

Just asking questions because it seems not a great idea to institute a policy knowing it won't be enforced the way it is written.

I really have a huge problem regarding not letting students with excused absences make up the work or absences based on school-related activities. If those activities a problems, maybe the programs that have potential to interfere in the school day should be dropped completely.

OneOldGoat

Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i think that if they are excused absences and they go over the limit, they can set up a mitigation "hearing" with admin & someone from district. Valid explanations would work... but hopefully the pain-in-the-butt part would discourage students/families from being so cavalier about absences.
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

geesh
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would like it as ap arent except excused absenses should count. perhaps tag the truancy person for investigation but shouldnt' count against. My ds misses a ton for band and sports and a medical condition. We have to bring a doctors note for any medical illness issues. otherwise that is great. had a kid just today show up tardy the last 3 min of class then he didn't even sit down just stood by the door to go. I kept him in as absent.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote