What tips do I need to know for taking on subbing high school next year. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

What tips do I need to know for taking on subbing high school next year.

>

knitting987!

What tips do I need to know for taking on subbing high school next year.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed it a few times last year but want to expand to more schools and sub high school next year. Any suggestions and tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Filler ideas? Ways to get them on your side?I noticed it is all out war to get them to put their cell phones away? Suggestions on that matter? I do like them and think it would be a nice change from middle school. Thanks so much.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Twoniece

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I subbed at high school before becoming a HS teacher and it can be a nightmare if you go in blindfolded. Good deal you are inquiring on how you can be the BEST at what you will be doing. Subs are GOLD in my book. I am VERY picky of my subs and provide them with detailed instructions provided BEFORE the day of my absence along with my personal cell phone so that they could always contact me if a situation arises. Most of all I inform students that my sub has authority overall and if s/he guides you, you must follow his/her lead.
I suggest you try to speak with your prospective teachers and get a feel for what they expect from you. When you find one that works well with you, try to sub for them often. (This REALLY helps because the kids get to know you.) Most importantly, YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL! You can be well liked by students but you have to keep that line between 'friend' and an 'adult' for this age group thinks that if they can win you over, they will get a 'free' day which can cause havoc.
Hope this helps Best of luck and BLESS YOU for taking on this task!
Twoniece is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the ideas. I still need help with the cell phone and finding authority there. Some flat out test and defy. That is hard.

knitting987!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the ideas. I still need help with the cell phone and finding authority there. Some flat out test and defy. That is hard. Please pm me back this year if I have a question. Thanks a bunch. I want to be successful and a professional in this area.

rhapsody

Cell phones
Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ask the teacher next door if you can about the school's cell phone policy and if most teacher's follow it. If you get the feeling that most teachers don't enforce the policy, don't sweat so much about. You can tell them to put it away but don't get too worked up about it.

One thing you could do with schools that do have a tough policy and do enforce it, tell the kids right away that if you see a cell phone that you are taking it and will be putting it in a secure place--and that they can have it at the conclusion of class. At this time, tell them that if you ask them for their phone and they refuse to give it to you even though they know they can have it back at the end of class, that you will consider that defiance and write a referral.

rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

storyteacher1

Pick Your Battles with HS
Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,

I have been subbing for 6 years on my teaching certificate. I prefer to sub my subject matter, but my best advice would be to pick your battles carefully and leave the classroom teacher good notes. Yes, students do not like cell phones taken away, but at the larger school I sub for, they are allowed to have them if it is not during instruction or testing. Also, get to know the students and when possible show an interest in what interests them. I tell students I am fair, but firm. I require passes as necessary for restroom trips, follow school rules, and always follow the teacher's lesson plans. Good Luck!
storyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote