Need advice!!

>

flutetoot

Need advice!!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just looking for some advice/suggestions here:

I teach 9th grade English.
I have a student who since the beginning of the semester (our semester began in January) refused to do any work at all in class. When given assignments, he would simply ignore them or throw them away. This went on for about a week until I contacted the parents, then administration. Parents did not respond. Administrators gave the young man ISS where he *had* to do work. When he came back to class, he promptly went back to refusing to do any work. This continued for a couple of weeks, the back and forth, and parents still never contacted me back.
Finally, the mother came when mid-quarter grades went out. She was very upset that her son was failing. I explained to her what had been transpiring, and so did my administrator. She begged me to allow him to make up the work. I gave him the assignments again. He never returned them.
Now the son is telling his mother that he gave me all the assignments and I took them from him, thanking him!
Truth is, this boy never handed in a thing! Yet the mother is now saying that I am lying, a racist and want her son to fail. (This is not true at all). According to her, her son *never* lies since he is a good "Christian" and I just don't like him because he is black.
Obviously, it is my word against this kid, and there are no witnesses that he handed anything in.
What should I do?

flutetoot is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicNerd2009

Old 03-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a similar situation. Maybe we have the same student . However, I have a security camera in my classroom and it documents that the student never turned in work. Also, for make up work, I require that make up and late work be scanned and submitted online for reasons similar like this. Normally, I would take this to the administration since the mother began calling me names. But if our administrations are similar, they will probably either tell the parent to get over it and tell the kid to apply himself OR they will tell you give the student a 50% on every assignment.
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

tough situation
Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would document everything, of course. Then I guess maybe you could see if the guidance counselor might be of some help to get him to do the work? If the mother is calling you names, then I would cease all contact with her and have contact go through guidance or administration.
If she really thinks you are a racist, she would have her son removed from your class. She is just bullying you with the racist thing to scare you into passing him.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

The missing work
Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Give him the missing work one more time. Email his mother, the admin, and him that you handed him the work. Scan it or take pictures of it to include in the email. Then phone his mother with the young man standing there and leave her a message that the work was handed to him. Tell them there is a deadline (I would say one week from the day). I would then document all of the times the work was handed to him and all contact made with parents and administration. Make sure you have it so you can look back at the documentation when the mother pulls this crud again.

Call and email the day before the deadline with a reminder, document and then know that you have done all you can do.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Didactasaurus

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

He is clearly lying and I would say you have enough to stand on already. If it your word against his, your word seems strong in this case because of his history of not submitting the assignments and your documented attempts to contact parents and have him do it.

You should discuss this with administration, but my position would be that this extra chance was already generous and now to do so anymore would both be too much and to tacitly admit that the boy is right (when he is lying). Let hi redo now, and you are admitting that you lost the tasks and hate him because you are racist (validating their claims). I wouldn't back down from this situation unless forced to by administration.

Didactasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Typo_2

The "Right to pass & Right to fail"
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It appears as if you've done just about everything right b/c you documented it & went to parent, admin & (in future) you could seek help from Guidance.

"teabreak" offers great advice since you're offering a 3rd chance which can be tracked or easily traced.

In the future- you may ask the students to rate their work in your class (scale of 1-10 & rationale). See if you can get any of the poor performers to up the ante. Also- you might wish to track (have students sign in for class/sign off when they take your assignment/offer tracking tables on what assignments they've submitted). I do this for the reasons you've stated which happened regularly in my classes (in the past) until I tracked it all. A clear Course outline (with a tracking chart/sheet of assignments) on the back for students to track their work/progress may help too. You could explain that this has been an issue in the past and that you'd like them to start tracking their work b/c in college its their responsibility to be "on the ball" and submit everything.

Hope this helps.
Typo_2 is offline   Reply With Quote