Help

High School

Student Notes, Flipping, etc.

>

BioBirdie

Student Notes, Flipping, etc.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach Biology to 9th graders. I have taught long enough to remember giving students outlines that they wrote in spiral notebooks was routine, then switched to guided notes accompanied by power points that students filled-in the blanks in notepackets kept in ringbinders....some of my co-teachers give packets that are verbatim to the textbook and assign students to read and fill them in. I know "flipping" the classroom is the newest great idea... but haven't wrapped my head around implementing it yet. SO, WHAT I AM ASKING....HOW BAD (OR GOOD) OF AN IDEA IS IT TO HAVE 9TH GRADERS READ AND OUTLINE THEIR READING EACH NIGHT? IN A SPIRAL NOTEBOOK. SPECIAL ED STUDENTS WOULD BE PROVIDED A PARTIAL OUTLINE TO COMPLETE IF NEEDED. I want to do this next year, but need research or other teachers' opinions to give me the confidence to see it through. Does anyone else do this? What do you do? How do I know what strategy is best for my students? I am teaching two new upper level electives next year, and I want the best -but least time consuming for me -routine for my large general biology 9th grade classes. Any suggestions welcome. THANK YOU.

BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

good in theory
Old 06-22-2015, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is a good idea on paper, but I don't know how well it will work in practice. First, a lot of the kids at my school would just not do nightly outlines. Next, my admins really discourage us from doing those types of things, so I know I wouldn't get administrative support, which is a shame because I think they really learn it best by sitting down, reading, and taking notes. I am like you in that I just can't get excited about flipping because I have not really seen it implemented well.
You could bring in technology with quizlet or quia....just to mix it up a little - or have a class website with the outlines available for download. Just a few thoughts.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

cid0926

Cornell Notes
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would consider something more along the lines of Cornell Notes (see Google if you are not familiar). Research indicates that retention of information decreases exponentially when the student does not interact with the material regularly. Cornell Notes done correctly allows for the initial note-taking (regardless of the content), revising within 24 hours and then reviewing within 7 days to ensure the chance of 100% retention. Our district uses these at the middle and high school level and find them to be very effective. They can be done on paper or digitally (we are a 1:1 district) which might encourage consistency, in a notebook or on a preprinted format.
*when looking a this remember that the summary/reflection is a key piece as it shows what the student understands about the notes they have taken.
cid0926 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love Cornell notes! I required students to do them in chemistry class, and it did help their retention of concepts and information.

I did not require it in AP Chemistry...till one student said, wistfully, "You know how you used to make us take notes in chem? If you made us do that in AP Chem, I know we'd do a LOT better!"

Somehow it didn't click with him that he could just go ahead and use the technique on his own!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
thoskins

thoskins

online notes
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have the students watch a video and take notes from this. Often I am wanting them to prepare for the next days assignment, but I can see how this is used for flipping. To get them started, I often provide them with a guided handout to help instruct them on how to take notes from the video. After a few units, I ask them to take the notes themselves and use it to prepare for the next days lesson and for reinforcement.

peanut21

I agree
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

About Cornell notes. I would not have them do it nightly. Maybe complete this section by ----- ( and give them 3 days) or something similar
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote