Help

High School

If you live in a Common Core state...

>

Mme Escargot

If you live in a Common Core state...
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How does common core affect your high school classes ? I've heard about the convoluted approaches to math, and rigid teaching requirements for lower grades, but it would seem that you can't really change how you teach Algebra 2 or Biology or whatever. Are there Common Core- created end-of-course exams? Or do you have state-created end-of-course exams? Or do you get to make your own final exams ?

Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since I teach AP Statistics and AP Calculus, CC hasn't affected me that much because I don't teach to CC standards, I teach to College Board standards. When I taught Algebra 2 last year, my only change in teaching came with a new textbook. But that mostly just rewording some of my test questions. Algebra 1, Geometry, Biology, and Algebra 2 all have state designed EOC'S that follow CC standards. The county designs the midterm exam that we give in January.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

CC EOC tests
Old 11-06-2015, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks....Am going to be moving to a CC state from a non-CC state, and am wondering how that will affect my own high-school aged kids. You say that the EOC's are state-designed, but follow common core standards. Do you know if there is anything so different about CC-standards-based tests from any other traditional type of end-of-course exam that might be a problem for my kids ? I don't mean content-specific material, but more in the test design itself ?
SeptOct

SeptOct

Old 11-06-2015, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in NC and we have state end of course exams which are common core aligned. We have EOCs in bio, math 1, and English 2 (up to 240 minutes) and state final exams (120 minutes) in all core subjects.

I don't know about science.

I know a little about math. The required math classes used to be Alg 1, geometry, alg 2. I am not sure what the 4th class was--maybe trig. Now they require Math 1, 2, 3, and an advanced class. So the math classes are integrated. Math 1 (I'm told) is mostly algebra with some statistics, and a little geometry. The end of course test is more word problems and includes some constructed response problems.

In English the old test included a lot of grammar, and the new test has none. All of the questions use language that comes from the CCSS. So the students really have to understand the language of the standards, which in my mind are written in jargon for teachers. The English test is very aligned to CCSS.

Here are NC's released exams
http://www.ncpublicschools.org/accou.../releasedforms

Mme Escargot

Thank you
Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your response, SeptOct.

Quote:
In English the old test included a lot of grammar, and the new test has none. All of the questions use language that comes from the CCSS. So the students really have to understand the language of the standards, which in my mind are written in jargon for teachers. The English test is very aligned to CCSS.
This is exactly what worries me. My older son ( a junior currently ) is very good at English. He wants to major in it. But I'm worried that his unfamiliarity with the CCSS language / wording and the jargon is going to affect him. It also saddens me that there is no grammar on the test. Understanding the mechanics of language help one to be a better writer and speaker.

Acidburn

Integrating Common Core in HS
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At my school, we're in the 3rd year of integrating CC. It has required us to do a lot more collaboration with our humanities teachers, which actually has turned out to be a good thing. We have a high proportion of EL students, and we've started out scoring the rest of the district on ELA assessments since we started seriously focusing on CC.

The main change for my science classes: more writing; every unit includes 1-2 smaller "journal" type reflections and a couple-page essay about the content. Downside: I've dropped a couple of labs to make room for writing. Upside: my students learn the content more deeply, and they remember it and can connect it to new material WAY faster than before.

Details: The focus of the essay (meaning the part we assess and gives specific feedback on) rotates, except for spelling and grammar, which is continuous. English classes know our pacing sequence, and they support it with practice on their end. We coordinate so we're all using the same functional CC language on assignment prompts.

Example: 1st semester:
Unit 1 focused on defining an issue/problem/phenomena.
Unit 2 focused on creating an argument/claim about the phenomena.
Unit 3 focused on summarizing and evaluating text-based evidence.
Unit 4 focused on creating and explaining evidence (from experiments).
Unit 5 focused on connecting evidence and problem statements/claims and drawing conclusions.
Unit 6 focused on analyzing and critiquing claims, evidences, and conclusions through logical reasoning.

2nd semester, we repeat the whole process, trying to dig deeper into each concept.

Our plan this year is to also have students complete a small (ungraded) reflection writing after each unit that explicitly compares their work sample from the 1st to their work in 2nd semester. By now, the kids expect to write in every class. Most also have started internalizing the CC language so that its natural for them to use and understand.

The key, IMHO, is writing in every class, across the whole curriculum. I confess I don't love reading/assessing essays, but it really has helped my kiddos.
Acidburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Thank you
Old 11-11-2015, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your response, Acidburn. It sounds as though your school / school district has found an excellent way to integrate writing across the curriculum. We always hear such negativity with regard to common core, so I'm glad to know that the focus-shift toward CC is truly helping kids in your school.

Teacher_twins

Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Do you know if there is anything so different about CC-standards-based tests from any other traditional type of end-of-course exam that might be a problem for my kids ? I don't mean content-specific material, but more in the test design itself ?
When my state switched to CC, the only thing that changed about the EOCs was applying the concept to a real world experience (it didn't just say solve for x, it was an actual word problem and the students had to imply what to do), the answer choices were different (true/false, multiple choice, free-response, matching), and the calculator (they had to use the online calculator, they could not use a hand-held calculator).
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, Teacher_twins. Your response is encouraging... I hope it won't be too difficult an adjustment for my kids. We're still trying to figure out what to do about school...public or private.

bridgebreaker

Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow. can't wait to hear more.

bridgebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have very little experience with CC, but I subbed for a 5th grade math teacher last week,and they had a test scheduled. almost all of them failed the test which was almost all word questions, yet when I asked the kids the exact same equation as a problem, they could almost always solve it in their head. I'm confused, but I haven't been doing this for a decade and am trying to catch up. but from the outside looking in it seems confusing and drawn out where it does not need to be.(in this limited snapshot)
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote