ESL/LEP

Help!!!

>

kaneweer

Help!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,
Today, without warning, my P showed up with the sweetest new student. She speaks very little English. I speak about 12 Spanish words. We do not has any sort of ESL program. In all my years at my school we have never had a student with such limited use of the English language. I don't know where to start. Any words of wisdom or ideas of programs etc. would be greatly appreciated.

kaneweer is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

talk loud and s-l-o-w
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

JK! Assign her a buddy who is patient and kind- they will be able to communicate without speaking the same language- it's incredible. Get a hold of a few key phrases such as bathroom and lunch. Use gestures and pictures. If she is literate in her native language, encourage her to write and read in her language. Prepare to be amazed at how quickly your new student assimilates to your classroom. Be aware that she will have a silent period while she is taking it all in. If you have a computer that she can use to listen to stories in English, like Starfall, that would be helpful. Or books on CDs. Be sure to smile at her a lot so she knows you like her- she will probably be nervous for a little while. Enjoy the journey with your new student!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here are a few tips...if anyone in the classroom speaks Spanish, have them be her buddy to help her during the day. If you don't have any Spanish speakers, sit her next to one of your helpful students. Expect that she will be going through a "silent period" where she is just trying to make sense of it all. Use lots of visuals, from the class schedule, to labels around the classroom, a vocabulary journal, and for content vocab. I'm not sure what grade she is in, but if she can read and write in Spanish, allow her to write in her native language for now. Modify and simplify assessments. Beginning English language learners can label, match, act out, and draw to show understanding. Provide word banks, simplify the language, reduce assignments, and provide hands on activities. www.everythingesl.net is a wonderful resource. Depending on what grade you teach, I'd be happy to share some on my activities with you. Good Luck. Oh...and a bilingual dictionary is a good idea. Focus on building her vocabulary. Her progress in reading and writing will be greatly influenced by the extent on her vocabulary.
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote