Help

ESL/LEP

New ESL STudent

>

nette25

New ESL STudent
Old 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are on vacation this week and have a new student starting next Monday from Ecuador. We aren't sure how much English she knows but have to plan lessons any way.
She is an 8th grader and will be in my 7/8 Physical Science Class. We are currently studying compounds and will soon be learning about mixtures. Any suggestions on how I can help her to understand what we are doing in class would be greatly appreciated.

nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

lots of visuals
Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Use lots and lots of visuals. If there is another student who speaks Spanish, seat the new student next to this "buddy." Ask the buddy to help her. Show her where the bathroom is. Understand that she will be going through a "silent period" where she is just trying to absord information. Incorporate a lot of hands on activities. Give her a bilingual dictionary. Allow her to respond in Spanish for now. Repeat important information. Determine the essential knowledge you want her to know and focus on making that information comprehensible. Give her vocabualry words with pictures and simple words or phrases. When assessing, allow her to label, point to, draw, match... I've attached some vocab I used with my 5th graders last year just so you can see what I'd use. It's a unit on Oceans but compounds and mixtures were included. Basically, I think you will have to create your own materials so that the information is at a comprehensible level. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Oceans.docx (323.0 KB, 49 views)
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote

neekoyu1

Esl test
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can anyone tell me where I can go to take the ESL Test to get my license, and how much does it cost to take the test?
neekoyu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

neekoyu1

Esl test
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can anyone tell me where I can take the ESL Test to get certified, and how much does it cost?
neekoyu1 is offline   Reply With Quote