Help

ESL/LEP

help me get their attention

>

mendozaalonzo

help me get their attention
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

im a new english teacher and i work in an all english school in mexico, i teach all ages (or at least try) and my most difficult group is one of teenagers, i have a really hard time getting their attention because they really dont want to be there (their parents make them go).......please if you can give me tips on how i can get them interested in the lesson ive tried many approaches but none of them have had the impact on them that i want...so im open for suggestions please enlighten me!!!!!!!

mendozaalonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

hmmmm
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where I live we have had a flood of Spanish speaking immigrants coming in so I was lucky to get to do some of my fieldwork for college in an ESL kindergarten....so i'm obviously not experienced in any of this at all. But from my short and small experience, music stood out to me as something very affective in getting children to open up and speak! English too! I know that was kindergarten but you know, I would imagine that teens would loveeeee to listen to the latest music. It's hard to sift through todays music...that'll be time consuming...But maybe you can get the lyrics to popular songs and sing them. Have them read through the lyrics together while listening. American music is popular in other countries so they may even be familiar with it, but to have them read along can make more of a connection. I don't know.

Also, watching fun movies with subtitles. Having them write letters in English to American teens. Keep a daily journal. Use lots of visuals. Have them write skits about a topic in small groups then perform them in front of the class: Say the topic has been clothes...tell them to create a skit in their group about a trip to the mall and a bank robber comes or something silly, and they need to use a certain amount of vocab words. Bring in props like clothing articles and have them label them and wear them etc. you can bring in money, emergency situations, etc a lot of extra vocab here. And they'll have fun.

Write biographies that include pictures or a poster...

Just throwin out some ideas here, i dont know if they are any good. I guess they are all of more hands-on, fun activities. Cause I feel like those usually stick!
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote