Help

ESL/LEP

Parent Meeting

>

SportingKC

Parent Meeting
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever planned a beginning of the year parent meeting? I was going to have one for my building, then the ESL teachers at the middle and high school heard about it. Now it's a district wide meeting.

I am wondering what I should be sure to have someone there to talk about. We are thinking of:

~ attendance (why it's important, how to use our attendance phone line)
~ homework expectations (this will be by school/grade level)
~ how to fill out any district paperwork (free/reduced lunch forms, etc)
~ how to contact your child's teacher/ school office if they don't speak Spanish (we are 99% Hispanic)

I was also thinking of inviting our local public library and some other local services to come. Any suggestions?

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Meeting
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school has always held open house the day before school starts. This allows us to get parents to fill out important paper work and answer any questions they might have. We usually served food of some sort too.
phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We usually do this too, and traditionally our Hispanic families have not attended. We are trying to better meet their needs by gearing a meeting specifically to them.

(And it will make our life easier if they can get paperwork filled out correctly, use the attendance line, etc.)
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do this. We send the BOY meeting notice out in Spanish. Childcare is often an issue so a couple of teachers are assigned to a room to entertain the kids while other teachers meet with the parents. We also provide food, that always brings a crowd I think the topics you've chosen to cover are great. I'd add to the homework expectations some tips on how parents can help their children with homework, especially since many don't speak/read/write in English. We'd also have the forms there, so if parents had difficulty filling them out, we could assist. Good luck...this is a wonderful way to build the home/school relationship.
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariposa2010

H.S. Graduation Requirements
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

At the beginning of the year parent meeting at the high school where I use to work at we would always include high school graduation requirements. Many ESL parents are unaware of what courses/requirements their students have to complete if they plan on graduating.

Mariposa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote