Help

ESL/LEP

Ell Academic Support Class

>

elepen

Ell Academic Support Class
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a High School Ell Academic Support Class with 4 students, 2 boys and 2 girls. They are fluent in English but have not passed the state proficiency. The girls are great but the boys are very challenging and won't do work unless they want to. Basically this class is do work on work from their content areas and have extra help.
I have tried a lot of things, making it a nice place for them to do work, eating snacks and listening to music if that helps them do work. I have even tried structured activities ( guided reading group with a movie to watch, grammar excercises etc. when they don't have something to do) The boys are testing my patience. I am basically a nice person, not intimidating. One of the boys is failing 2 classes and is in 11th grade and the other is always on the border for one class.
Have any of you ever had a class like this and have tips or advice for me.
One of the boys comes in during lunch to hang out so I know he feels comfortable with me. I am not a young thing,in my 60s. Also am a certified Ell teacher not a para.

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Sounds like my class
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have an 8th grade class with 2 girls and 3 boys. Having a small class can be challenging. Is there any way to bring in other students? Maybe students who need additional time and practice to meet RtI? This might make the class feel more like a class. Sometimes the small classes seem too much like "home". The kids all know each other - its almost too familiar.

With my small group the best motivator I've found has been letting them know everything we do in the class will help *them* pass the test. I also let them know that helping them pass the test is my my number one goal. I show them their test scores and we write individual goals - longterm and short term. I provide practice questions and help the students relate what they are learning in class to information that could be on the proficiency test. I try to make the class all about them. I realize 11th graders are way different than 8th graders.

Last edited by Cow Pie; 11-11-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote