ESL vs. Childhood Literacy

>

MS90

MS90

ESL vs. Childhood Literacy
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I currently have my licenses in General Early Childhood and I'm trying to decide between grad studies in Childhood Literacy (1-6) and TESOL (PreK-12th). Both directions are appealing to me but I am concerned with the number of career opportunities. I am wondering, which path offers more opportunities? What jobs are available for Childhood Literacy teachers (aside from maybe a literacy coach)? If I studied literacy, am I able to teach ESL as well? Or is teaching ESL limited to only those w/ TESOL coursework?

For reference, I'm in the NYC area where there are many non-English speakers.

broomrider

off the top of my head
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd say preK-12th (TESOL) gives you more options and employability than a 1-6 emphasis. The second language population is growing and many states are finding the need for ELL teachers that they didn't have (or recognize) before.

I'd do some research on the surrounding states' credentialing sites to see what are the limitations on the various credentials. I expect there are different requirements for ESL teaching but TESOL would be highly desirable in a ESL teacher. Perhaps you can do some cross over and take electives in literacy if you go the TESOL route and vice versa to support a childhood literacy masters.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

WorldlyGuy

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm an ESL teacher and I concur that is the best route in terms of furthering job opportunities. ESL was (and still is, I believe) one of the few disciplines that was opened up for hiring during the freeze in NYC. The demand is almost always high in the city.

When I was in undergrad, there was a few literacy courses in our TESOL curriculum. If you have some interest in that area, certainly just take some extra courses or find a school that has enough overlap for you to complete both programs. Literacy will always come in handy in ESL anyway.
WorldlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote