Help

ESL/LEP

Wida

>

SportingKC

Wida
Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had it with my State (Kansas) stupid ESOL assessment and standards. I am the only elementary ESOL teacher in a very small district. There is one other dedicated teacher at the middle school.

Does anyone use the WIDA stuff? If so, what are your opinions? I'm looking for something that would be a better guide as to how to get ESOL students ready for CCSS, college or career than our state ESOL standards (which seem to be about 5 years behind what is best practice).

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

I do
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since my state is part of the Wida Consortium, my students are assessed each year using the Wida ACCESS for ELLs language proficiency assessment. I've found that the Wida standards fit nicely with the CCSS and the can do discriptors are generally right on with the skills of my students. The standards and can do discriptors help with lesson planning as well.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

ESOL_Odyssey

Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The WiDA standards are highly focused on academic language, which is very important. I've been in a WiDA state for years and lead district training on it.

However, I don't think a single district can join WiDA, I believe it has to be a statewide decision to join the consortium. You can certainly use the standards and principles, but you'll still be federally required to administer whatever test your state has chosen to satisfy the requirements of the NCLB ELP testing.
ESOL_Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote