ESL/LEP

Volunteer tefl teacher

>

Mankey8

Volunteer tefl teacher
Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I work full time in Israel as a VP for Business Development of a mobile media company. I love working with kids and so I want to volunteer next year at my son's school. His teacher saw how good I was with all of the kids in his class and invited me to volunteer as an English Teacher. Most people that know me would say I was put on this earth to work with kids (I studied Physical Education in College, and coached youth basketball).

If I were teaching Phys Ed. (I probably will incorporate a lot of PE in my activities. I will be working with 4 and 5 year olds mostly) I would know where to begin. With teaching English I don't know where to start. Are there any resources online that one might recommend. I am super excited to live this dream and give back.

Thanks,

Ryan

Mankey8 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

couple of ideas
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm writing this at the risk of telling you exactly what you already know, but there may be something new in here for you.
With little guys (as with any early English learner) you want to do a lot of different, short, verbal activities.
You PE background will be useful because you can teach vocabulary through movement as well as get the wiggles out after sitting for awhile.
You'll want to use a lot of gestures and pictures to support what you do as you teach vocabulary and sentence structure.
Don't worry about correct grammar or pronunciation until your kids are more advanced.
You can start with labeling the environment: "This is a ____" so they can name stuff in the room, the playground, pix of home things, etc. You might teach them to ask "What is this called?" by having them teach you labels in return while giving them a way to get information.
Start with understanding, then move to expression. So you might do "Show me the ____" before "What is this called?" when they need to respond.

Most new language learners are reluctant to expose themselves and risk failure. Like reading out loud when just learning, talking in a new language is partially an exercise in courage. Make it OK to forget or mangle a word or sentence. You can restate while supporting. If, for instance, a child says "A chair it is." you can say "yes that is a chair." and not make them repeat your correction/confirmation just hear the correct form.

You might have them do an art or cooking project while you work on English. Talk them through with lots of modeling and gestures "Let's draw a tree. The trunk (draw it) is brown (color it or show brown crayon/paint). Oh, Z you are using lots of brown. X you have a big trunk.
Y what a nice short tree. etc.
Cooking gives lots of food and activity labels: crack an egg, stir, mix, pour, etc.

Hmm. This is turning into a treatise.

Here are a couple of web sites for ELL (English Language Learners) or ESL (English as a Second Language, the older term) that may help. Not aimed at Israeli kids, unfortunately.
www.colorincolorado.org
www.esl-kids.com
http://genkienglish.net/about.htm

you might also try Dave's ESL Cafe

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote