Help

ESL/LEP

Korean Student

>

Carol Eide

Korean Student
Old 08-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be tutoring a Korean boy once a week this year. He speaks English rather well. He doesn't have a huge vocabulary yet, but he manages to get along. Our big concerns are: 1. He cannot read cursive 2. He is afraid his vocabulary is not large enough to do well in social studies, science, etc. Does anyone have any ideas where to begin. I am not concerned with teaching him how to write in cursive, but I do think he needs to know how to read it. Any ideas out there?

Carol Eide is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

English Lessons
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are two kinds of language registers: BICS-Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (Hi. want to go play with me?, etc.) and CALP-Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency. sounds like he has social language (BICS) and needs CALP. CALP is what allows a student to survive in school subject matter areas.

You might ask his teacher(s) for some of the vocabulary he'll need for his subjects at the beginning of the year. You might also want to be sure he knows the vocabulary for doing the academics: "essay, outline, compare and contrast, etc. You can go through his texts with him to find vocabulary he needs as well as supports incorporated in the texts to support him. Look at pictures, charts, captions, headings, etc.

You might want to check out SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol) on the web http://www.cal.org/siop/ and Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners which is how to teach using the SIOP model.

There are books for elementary and secondary learners and their teachers in supporting academics, particularly academic vocabulary development.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote