Help

ESL/LEP

ELL Adopted

>

CoolNana

ELL Adopted
Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 7 year old student who was adopted in May from Bulgaria. He has spent most of his life in an orphanage. He is picking up English very well and seems very bright and willing to learn. However, his behavior is very challenging. He is in constant motion and is often defiant.

This is not your average ELL situation. Anyone with similar experiences? I could benefit from any tips or strategies to help this boy get his behavior in control.

CoolNana is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have an EBD person in your building or district? I would ask that person for tips on handling defiant students AND especially for ideas on how to calmly diffuse situations. They deal with volatile situations on a regular basis and have a great weslth of experience for handling those sorts of things.
Considering his life thus far, you can hardly blame him for behaving as he does. He has not had an easy time of it, and some empathy and understanding, and definitely a FLOODING of positivity are helpful. ANYTIME you see him doing something 'good' you should praise him verbally. This will encourage him to behave well, because he receives positive attention when he does so.
Also, just be patient. For a child who is new, is LEP, there is a culture shock aspect involved. He needs space to become comfortable.
By all means, don't let him walk all over you! But try to find positive ways to diffuse defiance and encourage positive behavior.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Ell
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds like a tough situation. You and the parents should be working together very closely. I admire the parents for taking on this challenge, and I'm sure they are more than willing to do everything they can to make their new child's life happy and successful. Ask them what they are doing at home to teach him life skills. If there is consistency between home and school, it will help him grow faster.
I agree with MissESL on positive reinforcement.

From what I have seen in documentaries about orphanages in the eastern European countries, some are quite bad. They basically warehouse the children, so it is no surprise that your student does not know how to behave.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote