Help

ESL/LEP

Avenues program for first-timer

>

kidsnanimals

Avenues program for first-timer
Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got a new part-time job working with the Avenues program for small-group instruction (K-5). I am getting trained for this program, but could use some tips or advice about being an "impact" teacher. Any advice is appreciated, regarding forms/binders I would need, assessment, etc. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

kidsnanimals is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what an "impact" teacher is.

I do know that I have been really underwhelmed with Avenues. It really doesn't strike me as an ESL program; it's a watered-down reading series. I wish I had better things to say about it (I really wish that, because I have to use it, too!), but the best I can say is to supplement a lot. My district added Frames for Fluency to make up some of the deficits in Avenues (eg. all forms & functions). I haven't used it much yet, but my co-worker LOVES it.

Good luck.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsnanimals

Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it must be a local term....it's just additional pull-out support for small groups of students. I will be working with English Language Learners specifically. I'm just not sure of what documentation I'll need, since I won't be the primary teacher.
kidsnanimals is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, we have more or less the same job, then.

And Avenues is still inappropriate for it, unfortunately.

As far as documentation, I don't know. I feel like that is a weakness of the program I'm working in, actually. (I'm working with two experienced teachers, and they're wonderful, but I don't feel like I have a lot of opportunity to do things my way if that isn't the way they've always done it.) You might want to talk to your mentor about that, if you have one. Or your principal.

I'm actually curious myself to see what advice others have for you, since I'm in more or less the same boat.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the Avenues program with students K-5 (well I am supposed to).

I do not use it with newcomers. It's not appropriate.

I do use it for my K & 1 students, and some of it for my second grade students. I do not use it at all for my 3-5 students (it's too easy for them).

I would agree that you need to come up with some way to document that works for you. I've been spending my plan time the past few weeks re-organizing myself. The things I've been working on/creating are:

~ data sheets (what have the students scored on AIMS Web and MAPS tests)
~ sight word tracking (what words does each of the students know)
~ State ESOL standards tracking (what standards have I taught, and what is the student mastery, what do I have left to teach)

Good Luck! There are some great resources online, and Pinterest has been a wonderful resource for supplementing crappy lessons.

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

monteverde199

Avenues
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,

I have used Avenues for a couple of years. Avenues may not be the 1 item fits all program, but I used to have 0 resources for my 8 classes a day. Avenues has simplified my life. Is it perfect. No. There isnt a program out there that will fit everyone of our needs. All our classes are made up of different people and maybe the Avenues K-2 part might be helpful this year and maybe next year Avenues 3-5 might be helpful. Every year our classes are made up of different students with different ability levels. Avenues may be considered another type of reading book, but if the students didnt understand text features in their classroom then when they get to your classroom Avenues reinforces the information.

For example, my kinder students mumble the days of the week in their classroom because they do not know the words. When they come to my room I am reinforcing the vocabulary and helping them with pronunciation of the words as well.

What I do know and like about Avenues is this:

ESL is about Language and there are Science and Social Studies stories in them. Students can learn the language of text features and parts of a story. There are also poems. The stories have wonderful colorful language in them that you can explore. For example, a supplemental book in Grade 2 is "The Adventures of Taxi Dog." You can do rhyming words, city vocabulary, contractions, etc.

Whatever program or books you have you can make them work for your situation. Some things in the books may not work for your students. You know your students best.
monteverde199 is offline   Reply With Quote