Help

ESL/LEP

Middle School Student

>

bmcgee81

Middle School Student
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just received a 7th grade student who speaks no English. He is from Peru and speaks Spanish. Well I have no help and need to know what to do. I have 30 other kids in class and cannot give him the one on one that he needs. I also do not have anyone in class to translate for me. I am supposed to teach him Geography and I just don't see how I can seeing as I don't speak Spanish and he doesn't speak English.

What websites can I use that can help me? I don't even mind teaching him some English using whatever I can however it needs to be simple enough that he can do it himself most of the time. I cannot use Rosetta Stone as I don't have a computer in class for him to get on.

Also I am a lecture/discussion type teacher so my teaching style is not conducive to him learning. I want to help him but just don't know how. HELP!!!

bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, you're right that lecture style instruction is not an affective approach for ELLs. Is there an ESL teacher in your school? I guess I'd start by identifying the "essential knowledge" he needs to take away from your class. After that I'd find, or create, materials that present that material in small amounts at a time, in the most basic form. Build his geography vocabulary with meaningful visuals. Perhaps his assessments could be vocabulary based. I've never taught 7th grade, but I have taught 6th and am just trying to think about what I would do for them. Provide scaffolded class notes where he'd have to follow along in the lecture but would have to fill in important vocabulary and key terms/phrases. When something is important and you need him to know it's important, tell him "this is important." Use hand gestures, speak clearly, avoid idioms, reduce and simplify his homework. There are some good translation websites. If necessary, use one to translate important information. He needs a bilingual dictionary! (that's important)

I'm trying to think of a good geography or science website, but nothing is coming to mind. I just checked my files...I don't have much, but I did find a list of geography websites (although you said there's no classroom computer). I wish I could be more helpful. He really needs a classroom buddy, simplified materials, modified assessments, meaningful visuals on everything, and a lot of smiles. Good luck to you. If I come across anything, I'll keep you in mind. BTW....what's the focus in 7th grade geography? My 3rd graders are learning about compass rose, map grips, contintents & oceans. Big difference from 7th grade, I'm sure.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Geography Websites.doc (27.5 KB, 17 views)
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote