ESL/LEP

Voluteer Teacher in Israel

>

YuviShoosh

Voluteer Teacher in Israel
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all you wonderful teachers out there

I am volunteering to teach a bit of English in my son's 1st grade class in Israel (6 and 7 year olds) and I was wondering if any of you heroes of kids can help me take my first step. Its basically the end of a Friday home room class 15 minutes before the kids leave for the weekend.

Ok a little about me. Sadly, i'm not a professional teacher. I studied Physical Education at a University but did not complete my teaching certification. The reason is that I left for Israel to become a professional basketball player for 13 years. I also expanded a well known sports non profit organization to this region and helped teach and coach bball.

I have always had a spark with kids, at every stage in life people have told me that I should work with kids or be a teacher. I'm very popular around our neighborhood, partly because im so tall and secondly because i'm goofy i guess. Anyway the teacher and my son both asked me if I would come once a week to teach a little bit of English for about 15 minutes.

I did it today and it was SO MUCH FUN!! Pandemonium, but just pure awesomeness. I'm sure I did a million things wrong and basically was riffing with it. I was teaching a few words here and there and going over the tag lines I used with my son and daughter.. "Whats up Dudes" in which they all say in unison, "Chillin Baby" in which I then say "Do we Rock" (with the rock n roll finger signs) and they of course repeat it back to me. It was fun and they really enjoyed it as did I.

They would like me to come back. I work about 10-12 hours a day in my high tech job and I would love to come back with some solid ideas and activities.

If you read this far, I can't thank you enough, You Rock!!

YuviShoosh is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd continue to do things that are "fun"

1. Pick a group of words to focus on learning (colors, numbers, school tools such as pencil, paper)

2. Not sure what resources you have, but photos are a big help to teach things (maybe find them on the internet or cut them out of magazines)

3. I'd get online and just do some basic searches (Busyteacher is a great site for ESOL teachers).
SportingKC is online now   Reply With Quote