Help

Resource Teacher

Reading Mastery

>

ang6073

Reading Mastery
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I also posted this under the Special Education board but thought I would put it here, also. I'm going to be teaching K-3 resource. I know that I will be using the Reading Mastery curriculum. I have an all-day training session this Friday for Reading Mastery, but I have already been looking over one of the teacher presentation books. Does anyone else use Reading Mastery?

I know training will probably answer some of these questions, but I would like to hear from teachers who are actually using the program.

I see that there are 160 daily lessons and about 16-17 exercises in one lesson. Are you supposed to do one lesson a day? It seems like a large amount of stuff to do for one lesson and a lot of worksheets. Am I missing something?

The presentation book says you have students take turns reading aloud one sentence at a time and for students to raise their hand if one of their peers makes a mistake. I was taught all through my teaching education program that round-robin reading was not a good teaching practice. Yet this program has students doing round-robin reading. I guess I'm confused.

It doesn't seem like (from what I saw in the presentation book) that the program gives the students many tools to use in learning how to comprehend text and become better readers.

If you use Reading Mastery, do you think it's effective? Does this help your low readers become better readers? How true to do you stick to the guided scripts? Do you supplement your instruction with other things?

ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherella07

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi there,
I use SRA corrective reading and the setup is pretty similar to reading mastery. I find that the "take homes" (what I would call worksheets because they don't take them home to complete) are pretty easy for my students, but the actually lessons are more on their instructional level. I never have my students read in round robin style. You can randomly call on a student to read a sentence and then randomly call on another student (as long as all students get a chance to read). I can usually teach a corrective reading lesson in 45 minutes each day (although it often takes 1 hour) and the same goes for reading mastery. The students might not finish the take home worksheet that day so they can always finish it the following day before starting the new lesson. I'm iffy about the program as a whole. I feel like it's great for some students, but it doesn't work for all my students. I do supplement my instruction with other activities and I tend to use the same language (next word, what word) as well as having a signal, but I try to make it a bit more fun since it tends to be dry.
teacherella07 is offline   Reply With Quote

ang6073

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the answer. It's really helpful to hear from other teachers. I have the training tomorrow, so I'm interested to see how that goes. What do you supplement instruction with?
ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

jonsmom84

I've used Reading Mastery
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was required to use Reading Mastery for several years. The only good thing I can say about it is that it is planned and ready for you. You don't have to do a thing except follow their script. I did not like the "round robin" feel of the lessons. I do think the presentation book lessons helped some of my beginning readers practice their sounds and first words. Past the red level, I did not think it helped low readers become better readers. Since I was required to use it I did, but I supplemented with leveled reading books. I no longer use RM.
jonsmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
becky9619

becky9619

starting reading mastery
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am new to reading mastery as well. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I have fifth graders reading in the red level placement test....I think I will do guided reading 1/2 of the time and rm the other half. hopefully it will support my struggling readers......