Help

Resource Teacher

Resource Room Help

>

yanna08

Resource Room Help
Old 11-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for someone to please provide me with some examples of how things are set up in your classroom and how you provide your direct instruction to the various grade levels in detail, I would appreciate it. There is one teacher that teaches mostly direct instruction and then groups while another teacher teaches a lot of whole group, which I don't think is correct, but no one is explaining things to me, so any suggestions from a resource teacher would be greatly appreciated!

I teach 4th and 5th grade, Lang Arts, Writing, Reading and Math.

Thanks!

yanna08 is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnieR

classroom set up
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

HI
Sometimes I teach a whole group concept, like if it is grammar that everyone needs.

Most days I have three rotations: one group is reading silently and keeping a log of what they are reading; another group is on the computers or doing an independent worksheet and the third group is with me doing directed work on their level (trying to work on IEP goals :-))
This can work great if you have an instructional aide who is wandering around giving "points" for on task behavior.

Annie
AnnieR is offline   Reply With Quote

RunningGal

another classroom set-up
Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach whole group when it is something that is applicable to all and can easily be differentiated by level. Examples of this in reading would be mini lessons on strategies such as visualization, predictions, connections. I'll do a read aloud to model and practice the strategy and then DI with leveled reading material for the students to do it on their own or in a guided reading group with me. I do the same thing with language arts - journal writing, letter format, writing mechanics, etc. It also works in math. I might do a mini lesson on key words in word problems and then DI the level of computation skills. The students seem to enjoy whole group time and I try to have at least one whole group mini lesson each day.

Most of the time I teach by levels and subject. I usually have center type activities for students while I am providing direct instruction to an individual or small group. I also take advantage of times when students are pulled for speech or OT to group the remaining students.
RunningGal is offline   Reply With Quote

yanna08

Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello Annie and thanks for responding. I think I am getting an idea of how it is supposed to be done. I am just so new to this and it is taking some adjustment! It is getting better though as time goes on.

You are correct, the center and small group activities would work better if I had a para. The thing is, I don't, while all other special education teachers do. But, I guess that is what happends when you are hired in the middle of the school year. I am not complaining because I have a job and a lot of people do not, but it still seems unfair.

Thanks again for responding, I really appreciate it!

yanna08

Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks RunningGal, I really appreciate your response as well. It seemed as if no one would answer my post You have provided great examples that I can understand. I am just so anxious and want to be able to do a great job!