Help

Resource Teacher

An 8th grader at 4th gr LA level

>

LMandell18

An 8th grader at 4th gr LA level
Old 01-30-2011, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach an 8th grade student who is probably one of the best students I have had. She is bright, willing to learn, and in general ed science and ss classes. It is obvious whatever LA she received previously did her a disservice, given the issues we are faced with now. She has farily good reading fluency, but the difficulties are seen when we get into comprehension. Her grammar, spelling and punc are not what they should be, and while she enjoys writing, sentence structure, fragments, subjects predicates ,etc are glaring in their problems. She wants to improve but I do not want to go so fast that she becomes lost and discouraged. If anyone has suggestions, please...
Thank you-

LJM
NJ

LMandell18 is offline   Reply With Quote

bybsta6

ideas
Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sure you have tried using technology to help her with getting her ideas down in writing without worrying about all that stuff like punctuation, grammar etc. She could work on that once her ideas are down. There are programs that read written back, help with editing/proofreading etc.
She could also focus on having things read out loud to her to help her hear what she reads. Stopping and checking for understanding as she goes will also help her.
Show her that she can do things well and then help her with the things that she doesn't do well. build up her confidence first and foremost.
Does she have a designation?

Hope this helps!
bybsta6 is offline   Reply With Quote