Help

Resource Teacher

Writer's Workshop in the resource room

>

luv2lindy

Writer's Workshop in the resource room
Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anybody use writer's workshop in the classroom? How do you use it and set it up. Unfortunately, I only have about 30 mn a day for writing.

luv2lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

tinkandfrog

30 min. writers workshop
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's all you need! I use 6 traits, but you can follow whatever you like. Each day I do a 5 - 10 minute mini lesson, the students tell me what stage they are one (brainstorm/prewrite, drafting, revising, etc.) Then they go back to their desks and work on their writing. For example today we spent a few minutes looking at good examples of an intro sentence (6 traits organization). We talked about what made it a good intro sentence (said what they were writing about, grabbed reader's attention). While they were working on their individual pieces I conference with students. I don't get to everyone every day, but at least once a week. Today during conferences we looked at intro sentences and tried to make them better, more interesting. There are lots of sources on the web. Here's one site to get you started
http://www.wrsd.net/literacy/launch.cfm
Some days we don't do a mini lesson and we spend time working on our writing. I try to do at least 3 mini lessons a week. Hope this helps.
tinkandfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

ang6073

Old 09-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is a GREAT resource! Thanks so much. I also only have 30 minutes for Language Arts and I've been trying to figure out how I'm supposed to make writing happen in this block. I'm supposed to add spelling in during this time frame also. Do you do spelling in during this time?
ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

tinkandfrog

Spelling too?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yay me! I'm a junior member now and can post things. Spelling too huh? I know that some teachers do teach spelling at school, but there is just not time in my busy schedule. My student's do a spelling contract each week. Their list and a copy of the contract goes home on Monday. They are to pick one item each night M-W, and study on Thursday. Friday I give my spelling test. I'll attach my contract. They turn everything in on Friday, I grade the contracts and tests for a grade. I guess I actually do spelling on Thursdays. We spend about 10 minutes on Thursday playing sparkle (spell the word ex. cat student 1 c, student 2 a, student 3 t, student 4 says sparkle, and sits down. Last one standing wins) or swat it write words on the board, two teams, each have a fly swatter, say a word, they have to find it and be the first to swat it, their team gets a point. The student who earned a point goes to the end of the line, the student who didn't stays for another word.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Contract.doc (20.5 KB, 181 views)
tinkandfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

mathnmore

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of choices. Have any ideas for extra reading grades. The reading grades seem to only come from reading comprehension tests over the weekly stories and "cold" reads (same skill and vocabulary, but different context). Students are failing reading in their general ed classes due to those being the only grades every week. This is especially true for my special ed students in general ed. classrooms.

mathnmore is offline   Reply With Quote