What does reading instruction look like in your resource room? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Resource Teacher

What does reading instruction look like in your resource room?

>

amarissac

What does reading instruction look like in your resource room?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach grades 1-4 in a resource room setting. My schedule allows me to have 1 grade level at a time for reading, except for 2nd/3rd which are combined. In the past I did small group (4-7 students) reading instruction using the below level readers that accompany our reading series at the suggestion of my principal. However, that really wasn't best for my students. Between THanksgiving and Christmas I started doing individualized reading and really like the results....I just need to tweak what I'm doing to get the best results. I'm just curious if any one does individual reading (a couple students are partnered due to similar reading levels/needs). What does that time look like? What materials are you using? What are other students doing? Do you do any whole group instruction during that time? Etc.

amarissac is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I try to group by ability or
Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

by similar skills being practiced. I use stories/books from Reading A-Z. I may use the same story or whatever for all of them yet differentiate by the skills used--one group may concentrate on decoding, one on retelling, one on main idea, etc. It workds well together as a group and they may not even realize the differences.
Another way to differentiate is by the product required--one may draw a picture and give a verbal statement, one copy a modeled sentence and one draw a picture and label it or give it a caption including a whole sentence.

The higher level students make be working on their independent tasks while the lower level students get more 1:1 time. Plus, the reading a-z books print out like coloring books. If they finish the other assigned activities, you can say: color the pictures, circle all the punctuation you find, underline all the /a/ sound you hear, etc. Then they take the books home at the end of the week and the homework assignment is to read that week's book to another person in their home.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

specialtx

reading
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Project Read. This is my first year using it and I love it. I started out a large group and as students were able to move faster than others, I broke the group up some. Now I have three groups (by level) and they are all progressing very nicely.
specialtx is offline   Reply With Quote

pdebrow

What is Project Read?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am using the Story Town reading intervention program for low readers at 2nd grade level as well as Language! for my upper level readers, 2nd - 3rd grade level. I teach 4th and 5th Resource pull out in 2 groups of 6 each. I try to break for one on one with each student but with 30 - 45 min pull out it is difficult. I put them on the computers for Read Naturally after we finish. I am always looking for new ideas. What is Project Read?
pdebrow is offline   Reply With Quote