Help

Resource Teacher

State Testing Depression

>

gingercat

State Testing Depression
Old 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow Special Education teachers...Tuesday starts the annual state test for my kiddos. I've made the schedules, we've practiced forever its seems, my booklets are stickered and secured - looks like I'm all ready, doesn't it? But, I feel like crying because I know despite all the prep, my kids are going to struggle. When I told them today that I couldn't read any part of the reading portion, they all asked me "Even the questions? and Why do you read Science and Social Studies to us?". Out of the mouths of babes....that's an idiom by the way - my kids know what those are because I've been drilling literary devices one more time this week...too bad they won't be able to read the selection since it will be a 6th grade test and they read between 2nd and 4th... It just doesn't feel right to use GR materials all year long for instruction and then assess them with materials soooo far above their levels. I think it would be fairer to use the reading test for their GR level..Does anyone else feel as miserable as me right now? Not sure when other states do their testing, but in Illinois, it's next week....

gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote

sedrait

I'm with you
Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

our state test is in April. I was told to step it up (my teaching that is). They want me to teach 3rd and 4th grade level vocabulary and math to my end of K-high1st grade brained students. They can participate orally, but when it is written they cannot read it. How can I step it up? The behaviors have been through the roof! It is just too hard and they don't want to do it.
sedrait is offline   Reply With Quote

gingercat

Totally
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

understand..."step up your teaching?" That comment is outlandish - as if that is the magic button. Comments like that just show how higher ups don't understand what a reading disability is...

sedrait

Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know. They think I am a magician!
sedrait is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh66

Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We start in two weeks and on top of just taking the test, if they don't pass it they are retained. These are 9-10 year old kids. No pressure right!!! It's awful what these tests do to children. Forget the fact that they have a documented Learning Disabiltity. Apparently exteneded time and small groups evens the playing field.

mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

doright

Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a completely uninvolved and useless administrator so she would never tell to step up my teaching. I don't think she really cares and believe me our whole school is suffering.

That is beside the point. I hate testing time because I feel many of my students make great progress and gain confidence all year. Testing comes and they are knocked flat. I just try to get them through.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote

gingercat

Whoa is me...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well today was the first day of testing...it was painful to watch the math section. I know they could have done it if they weren't so freaked out about all the application problems despite that we have been working with the same type problem for WEEKS...

There has to be a better way to assess progress for kiddos with IEP's...

MizP

Testing Blues
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well, I'm with you all here. Today was the first day of testing and I think I already blew. Every teacher coming in to the teacher's lounge had something negative to say about EC test takers. I got up and left the room but not before I said, "Boy, it would be nice to hear something positive. Imagine how they feel. And I am right there with them." Driving home from school today, it was the testing blues. I sure would like to hear some good news.
MizP is offline   Reply With Quote