Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Your thoughts on “Pay it forward”

>

amiga13

Your thoughts on “Pay it forward”
Old 01-15-2022, 10:02 AM

I’ve been reading quite a bit by disgruntled Starbucks (and other chains) workers who are given money to pay for the person behind the the person ordering. The workers feel the person wouldn’t be in line if they couldn’t afford to pay themselves, and the minimum wage workers say they could really use one’s feel-good money as a tip.

I know we’re all entitled to donate as we see fit, but that’s not what I’m asking. Do you think, in this situation, one way is a better way to “pay it forward?”

I can see both sides. I understand and laud those who choose to be kind. How best to direct that kindness? What do you think?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-15-2022, 10:14 AM

Ooooh! I read that article the other day, and it got me thinking....

I was in one of those chains once...and felt compelled to pass it along...guess who was behind me? The OWNER of the shop! (i still felt guilty to not pass along and insisted.)

I had been thinking recently that I would pay for someone behind me--but tell the cashier to NOT let them just pass along--i'd like someone to receive the "yea! bonus!" feeling rather than feel beholden to continue it. and that person isn't really getting the "i did something good" aspect because they DIDNT do anything--the original person did. (oooh...i'm in the middle of a rant!)

Then i read that article (well, prob ONE of many about that chain the guy interrupted--good for him!) and saw where someone said--if you're going to a drive thru, you're going with the intent to pay, and you have enough money to pay. yup! (or in my case, half of your class thinks you drink a lot of coffee and they all get you gift cards for christmas so now you can get a weekly treat until spring break!) then someone else (maybe it was a worker...)said, gee, the person you should be gifting is the worker!

i agree. i am not a fan of the chain--i am an antifan. sure, if you want to pay for someone else, okay. i think i'd prefer to do it for someone who looks (uh...judging?) like they could really use it? (maybe if i ever went into a restaurant again---like a weary mother with 4 kids?) but maybe i'll just focus on the poor, harassed workers...

dang...i do a good job of bird walking and not answering original question. i am all about "you doing you"--do whatever you feel comfortable with. (not you, amiga--the greater YOU.) but if i'm in the middle of a chain again--i'm going to break it--and send out a "thank you" to the universe for the original person who started it--not the guy in front of me...

so--no, i think however you choose to be kind--that's kind of you. would it be what someone else chooses to do? shrugs? who cares? we do need more kindness in the world!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Yeah, I see both sides. In times like that I think it's a little silly because then the other person feels obligated to do it again for the person behind them. Personally, I'd rather do it for one person if I can tell they are struggling for money and not expect them to "pay it forward".

My whole views on giving money is to give more money to fewer places. I always feel weird at the grocery store when they ask me to donate $1 to an organization. I always say no. I want to be generous, but I think it's more effective to give a significant amount to a few select places that I feel strongly about their mission.

Obviously I also try to be generous to various needs that come up of people in my life or who I cross paths with, as well.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-15-2022, 10:38 AM

I don't give away money without a lot of thought . Money is hard to come by for many so I choose the neediest individual. Then I look at needy non profits with non discriminatory practices.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 01-15-2022, 10:40 AM

I like the idea of random acts of kindness however you do it. Over tip someone, buy someone else a meal- you are doing it to be kind and spread kindness. You are not doing it to end social inequalities in the world.

Edited to add- drive throughs make me feel claustrophobic (at a certain point you can’t escape) so I avoid them at all costs- so I have never been in this situation, but I can see how someone might feel obliged to keep it going….

That’s my musing

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Tough question
Old 01-15-2022, 10:46 AM

I would feel bad breaking the chain if there was one started. I do agree the worker may appreciate it more.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 01-15-2022, 10:57 AM

I might be the odd one out on this because I don’t see both sides as being equal. Blessings to the person paying forward but shame on the employee that would keep the money. The reason why is because the employee would take the money with a verbal understanding that it would go to a person in line. If they kept it then that is ethically wrong. This agreement is not about who needed it the most but would be about giving it to the next person. If a person says to give the money to someone in need then I think it would be ok for the employee to keep it. I tip employees well.
Oops - Did I misunderstand the post? Sorry!
MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-15-2022, 11:04 AM

I didn't see the article everyone is talking about, but I've been really into Starbucks this year (I find myself needing more motivation to get up and get out of the house in the morning ) so I joined a FB group to get more drink ideas/tips. I've seen several baristas post there that the pay it forward thing makes their job harder- having to keep track of all of that and ring it up differently, etc.

In the end I think it's a nice thought and acts of kindness should be appreciated. It doesn't hurt to think about if the money may be better given elsewhere, though.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 01-15-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Blessings to the person paying forward but shame on the employee that keeps the money.
I’m not seeing where a worker said they kept the money, only that they wished the extra money was coming to them.

I’m rarely in a Starbucks drive-thru so I’ve never been in this situation but I think the way to deal with it is to teach the workers not to ask the recipient if they want to pass it on. If the customer wants to pass it on they’ll say so, if they don’t there’s no guilt involved.

We once had a bridge toll paid by the person in front which was lovely but the toll taker didn’t ask us if we wanted to pay for the car behind.

I like stores that do roundup/keep the change for charities. There’s a couple of stores where I signed up for every time. So they don’t ask, it’s just automatic. Sometimes it’s almost a dollar but since we’re a no sales tax state and prices often end with .99 it’s more often a penny or 2.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

I broke the chain
Old 01-15-2022, 11:18 AM

I got in a chain at McDonald’s once. My order was 3.00 but the person following me had a 8.00 order. I just said no because it caught me off guard and I only had a fiver.

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 AM

I don’t think it’s anyone’s business how paying customers choose to spend their money. There’s no way to know whether the person behind you in line needs the money more or less than the person behind the counter, but it really doesn’t matter. IMHO, the point is to do something nice for a stranger.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-15-2022, 11:29 AM

I read an article recently where somebody stopped the Pay it Forward at Starbucks and the worker actually thanked him for it.

The Pay it Forward in a drive thru doesn’t really benefit anybody if it keeps going as you’re still paying for an order, just not your own it only works if you ask them to just do it for the people behind you and not continue.

If I go through a drive thru I have money to pay for my order. I don’t have money to pay for an order for an entire family that may be behind me when my order is for only me.

That was why the person I mentioned previously stopped it. His order was only $4 and some change while the person behind him had an order that was over $40.

I donate to charity on a monthly basis and donate to specific causes and specific places that I am able to see transparency in where the money goes. I don’t care for Starbucks (I like Dunkin) but I don’t personally tip for fast food unless it’s being delivered.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

kindness
Old 01-15-2022, 11:34 AM

First of all, I think kindness in any form should be encouraged, and I don't really know what I think of the "workers" judging how other people chose to be kind to others. I've personally never gone to Starbucks, but have paid for meals, etc, in other situations. At restaurants we've paid for another table. In the drive thru I have paid for meals of the vehicle behind me. It doesn't seem to be too difficult for the worker, they just run my card through for the upcoming vehicle. And then there's a gas station drive thru that if I'm getting a $1.25 drink I'll just leave the change from a $5 for the next few people who order the same thing. That's almost always the same person at the drive thru window in the morning and she has always seemed to think it was nice, not an inconvenience. I guess this is all to say, I don't ever feel obligated to "pay it forward" but I enjoy doing paying for someone else from time to time.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-15-2022, 11:57 AM

Ok, I will admit that I have not read this article nor have I heard about this type of complaint by Starbucks, or McDonalds, employees. Because of this, I may be way off base with my comments.

If I understand the gist of the complaints correctly the Starbucks employees are upset because customers are offering to pay for what the people behind them order instead of giving them, the employee, a larger tip. The complaining employees never stated that they did not recieve a tip from the generous customer, so I'm going to assume that they did because that is common practice. IMO, the employees are being selfish and entitled in making this complaint. The customer gets to choose how they want to spend, or give away, their money. How ridiculous of these employees to think they should get to have any opinions on how someone else spends their money.

Yes, I have been a suprised and grateful recipient of a paid order in the drivethru a couple times. I have never been asked to keep 'the chain' going. In my opinion that is incredibly rude of the the buisness/employees to ask such a question. In one case I offered to pay for the person behind me, but not the other times. I always send a thank you into the universe and let the kind gesture energize me as I feel the kind and generous person before me intended.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-15-2022, 12:16 PM

I as the customer get to decide who I want to reward with my kindness and when I’ll do it!

Tipping has gotten ridiculous! I have to tip the Panera worker, the Jersey Mikes worker, the drive-thru worker at McDonalds, Burger King etc. When did this become customary? I worked for years in restaurants where I took orders, delivered drinks, food, refills, etc. I was not paid anything close minimum wage so tips helped bring my hourly wage up. Employees of Panera, McDonalds, etc are paid at least minimum wage. More likely almost double when I see signs for hiring that say the wage is $15 an hour. And they want a tip on top of that? Hmmmm!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 PM

I've never experienced this myself nor have I read the article. But I agree with all41. Selfish and incredibly entitled.

As a teacher, I have enjoyed a Starbucks once in awhile. I do find it too expensive to indulge in too often. But we all choose how to spend our money. I think it is ridiculous for the Starbucks employees, those that are complaining, to tell anybody how to spend their money. Would I be happy that a teacher got a free drink? A health care worker? A postal worker? etc...Absolutely! By choosing to spend my money at the establishment, I am already supporting the workers.

What does everyone think about those tipping cups on the counter? Tipping someone to fill your order. Isn't that how it has to work? I can't come back there to get it myself. I do throw in some change. But I work many hours for free and, at times, at the expense of my family. From what I've heard, Starbucks seems to be a pretty good employer for what it is.

I hope the disgruntled Starbuck employees don't ruin the generous act(s). Kindness should be enjoyed and celebrated. We need it more now than ever!
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-15-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Tipping has gotten ridiculous!
I know I've posted before about how much I hate the tipping culture. Don't get me wrong, I still tip for most things (more than some people do because I feel guilty or something), but people should get paid fair wages. On that note, servers in some areas near me get $15/hour. Others don't. Why are we tipping a high percentage for all of them? At what price are we no longer expected to subsidize their pay? I ask in all seriousness, having been a waitress in several places for several years of my life (making $2.25 an hour or whatever it was then, and never working at a fancy place where tips are higher). To add to my little mini-rant, it always frustrated me that we tip a percentage anyway. Was I working any less busting my butt as the only server at Pizza Hut than the server at Ruth's Chris? (I also know some places pool tips).

Back to the question at hand, I don't think "paying it forward" by paying for the next person does anything except obligate people behind to pay someone else's bill. I don't like these "pay it forward" chains. Like others have said, those in line to get food have budgeted the money to pay for their order. They may be in need of financial support as well, but they have prioritized this trip for this product as a financial expense. Those working the store are getting paid for their service. I think paying it forward is donating to those who are in need. I read an article a while back about why these "pay it forward chains" are actually not helpful and don't, essentially, pay it forward at all.

I also laud those who choose to be kind. We need more of that, and there are many ways to do that (not all financial). I am not a fan of the pay it forward thing in drive-throughs.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I like this custom- pending coffee
Old 01-15-2022, 01:09 PM

https://www.visitnaples.eu/en/neapol...sity-and-facts

https://addict4writing.wordpress.com...t-of-kindness/
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM

Many of the family owned coffee/ice cream shops in my area do a pay it forward board. You can pre-buy a coffee and you put it on the board with who you want it to be for; I’ve seen all sorts of things up there like healthcare worker, a single mom, etc.

I attached an example of what I mean, though not from my specific area.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-15-2022, 01:23 PM

I think the pay it forward thing AND the tipping thing are both ridiculous - because they are expectations. The expectation of it all totally negates the point of it IMO. It is neither a kindness nor a donation when it is an expectation. (I do tip - but do it by percentage as an expectation of how people get paid, not trying to be philanthropic.)

I'd rather have people paid a living wage than have to participate in tipping AND I agree that people who are in line to buy coffee clearly have the money ready to do so. It's always nice to get a surprise, but that should be a random nicety - NOT the surprise of "Surprise! We expect you to pay for the person behind you because someone in front of your started a chain!"

I would be sad if I tried to surprise someone by paying for their coffee and found out that my gift wasn't really accepted but turned into a huge guilt chain of forcing everyone to pay for the person behind them! People only do that in drive through's because it's rude to basically refuse the gift, IMO. They wouldn't do it right in front of the person who gave them the gift, they'd say "thank you, you made my day!" Not "Oh, since you paid for my $3 coffee I'll now pay for the $20 dollar order behind me... wait.... oh, crap!"

Last edited by MKat; 01-15-2022 at 01:56 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-15-2022, 02:32 PM

oh, LilBit--I LOVE that!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

tipping
Old 01-15-2022, 02:41 PM

I don't have any opinion about a line of "pay it forward" people. I would thank the person in front of me but I doubt I would continue the line. I don't like being forced to do things like that, but others may feel more in the spirit of having fun in a charitable way. Whatever floats their boat.

However, we always tip about $2 extra at the drive up coffee kiosk in town. The company pays minimum wage and the turnover is high, so anyone taking that job must really need it. I've seen college age people, high schoolers, moms, and older folk who look like they've been out on the ocean all their lives. We like the idea of helping them out and they always seem so surprised and they smile and are pleasant back to us. Everyone is happy and leaves in a good mood. Win-Win.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 01-15-2022, 02:50 PM

I'm not a fan of the pay it forward chains and I honestly don't get how it's being kind of the person you are doing it to if they are expected to participate. I also see how it can disrupt the flow, making it harder on staff.

Paying for the person behind you is fine, but the chain and expecting others to continue it is what I'm not a fan of.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-15-2022, 03:07 PM

I haven't read the article so I am just going by the comments I've read. I have never gone to Starbucks.

I think our world could stand a little more kindness. I have done the pre-pay for the person behind me in line, but not with the expectation that the person has to pay for the next person in line. No strings attached. I am not comfortable with the idea of doing a chain.

My wish is that they will remember the kindness and how it felt. Maybe it will even make that person's day better. I like the thought of "paying it forward" in that, if the person remembers the kindness later and feels inspired to do a random act of kindness for someone else.

I do think the expectation for tipping has gotten out of hand. Employers should pay their workers a fair wage. Tips should be to show your appreciation for the service you received-not a requirement. The tips should be extra income for the worker-not something they need in order to survive. That being said, I do tip extra and try to thank the person for their good service.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 01-15-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I always feel weird at the grocery store when they ask me to donate $1 to an organization. I always say no.
Don't feel weird about not paying that. It's a scam. I don't mean they don't donate it, but the corporation is also able to write it off as a charitable donation and get a tax break, even though you are doing the donating.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-15-2022, 03:55 PM

Well, where I live I'd definitely rather give the money as a tip to the employees. Everyone around here can afford to pay for their own coffee if they are in line at Starbucks.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Tip the worker
Old 01-15-2022, 04:43 PM

I don’t usually treat myself to drive up coffee- I make it myself at home. So I’d rather not out feel obligated to pay for the order in back of me, and give what I was going to pay for my drink to the worker. I would actually resent paying for an expensive order behind me. But hey, I’m cheap!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pay it forward
Old 01-15-2022, 06:18 PM

I am a big proponent of paying it forward. But I try not to call attention to myself. And I choose how I do it.

I don’t have all the little details of the Starbucks story, but I feel it was an attention grab for that store. No way would I accept being forced to pay something forward. That’s not how it works. Its more karmic.…someone did something good for you, or you came into a little windfall, or a prayer was answered. In return, you put your positive energy back into the world by doing an unexpected kindness for some one in need.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-15-2022, 06:28 PM

The whole idea of a "pay it forward" chain doesn't make sense to me. At all. Yes, paying for someone else is a kindness. But making a chain just means you're still all paying for an order and that just seems like a PITA for the poor cashier. I'd much rather put it in the tip jar, or order something to eat and give it to someone that is asking for food/money on the corner, something like that.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I do not participate in those chains.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:19 PM

I don't see anything charitable about them.
I like the board Lilbit posted. There is a pizza restaurant that lets you buy a slice for someone who is homeless, hungry, or cold. The voucher goes on a board too and the homeless can take 1 if they need it. I like that.
Also, I think restaurants should pay their employees. The employees should not feel entitled, but I would much rather give to a hard-working employee than someone who is just buying coffee that they can afford.
I have the utmost respect for people who are working minimum wage jobs.
We were raised that if you don't have the money to tip generously, you can't afford to go out.
I totally agree w/ a PP who picks a couple of charities they strongly support. The last 15 years too I have noticed a trend of getting thank you letters that have a spot asking for another donation on the same page!
Miss Manners would not approve!
Oh, I had to add this. A friend of mine worked in a bar many years ago. She had the funniest button. It said: Tipping is not a city in China!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-16-2022, 05:42 AM

I'm not a fan of pay-it-forward chains. In my opinion, it's just a way to feel charitable without spending very much money. I definitely agree that anyone who is paying Starbucks/coffee shop prices for fancy coffee drinks is not in need of my charity. It's a moot point, though, since I am never in those lines anyway.

I do always tip but I have to say that this new practice of forcing you to tip before you get the service does not make me feel particularly generous and I'm never sure why a tip is demanded when I place an online order and pick it up.

I prefer to donate directly to highly rated charitable organizations and, because I generally only spend money on restaurants or fast food when I am away from home, I am able to donate fairly generously for my income level.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Charitable need…
Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 AM

I do not use drive thrus, but I never looking at paying it forward as a needs-based thing. I always have looked at it as a kind thing to do to make the recipient’s day brighter starting with an anonymous “gift”. If I were doing it, I would tip on my drink and theirs, so the employee wouldn’t lose out. At my Starbucks, inside the store, when I put the tip in the jar, most times, the employee sees it, and rarely, if ever, is it ever acknowledged with a thank you. I don’t like that, either.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 01-16-2022, 09:13 AM

I was the recipient of a pay it forward chain in a Tim Hortons drive through a few months ago. It caught me off guard. I wasn’t asked if I wanted to pay for the car behind. I just did. I thought it was a kind gesture. The car behind me caught up to me at a stop light and thanked me.

Before Covid, I did not think to tip if we ordered take out from a restaurant and picked up (we never do delivery as the restaurant often loses money with Uber Eats, Door Dash, etc). Now, I always do, because with shut downs and occupancy restrictions, service staff have seen their hours cut. We tip generously now with pick ups, especially as we have not eaten in a restaurant in two years.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 01-16-2022, 09:22 AM

I've actually only witnessed one case where an individual paid for someones groceries at Trader Joes and I though it was an isolated act of kindness. I didn't realize it was meant to initiate a chain reaction. Maybe that's why the checker rang the TJ bell and applauded him?
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

So.....
Old 01-16-2022, 10:59 AM

I've been a single mom and had times in my life where I was scraping for money and where I have been good. I always donate to St. Jude's when a place is raising money for them.

I did have someone pay one time when I was in a drive through getting some chicken nuggets for my kids. It was one of the times I was low on money, so someone paying really helped me. However, if I had felt obligated to pay for the person behind me it might have been more than what I was getting to start with.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

pay it forward
Old 01-16-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The Pay it Forward in a drive thru doesn’t really benefit anybody if it keeps going as you’re still paying for an order, just not your own it only works if you ask them to just do it for the people behind you and not continue.
That's my same thoughts! It should be RANDOM acts, not EXPECTED acts.

I think the idea started as a good one.

DD and I were in a deli eating when we saw a military man eating alone. We asked our server to give him his favorite dessert on us as a thank for his service, but not to tell him who it was from. We got to see the big grin on his face when the server talked to him. I would rather do things like that than be expected to do something just because others were.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 01-16-2022, 02:16 PM

There are so many ways to be kind and helpful. I’ve never understood the reason for the pay it forward chain, and I don’t find it an example of kindness or helpfulness.
FionaJ is offline   Reply With Quote