Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Gratitude Challenge Day 19

>

tctrojan

Gratitude Challenge Day 19
Old 01-19-2022, 12:25 AM

Most of us are blessed with having enough food. What is your favorite food or drink? Do you have a favorite memory about it?

I think pizza. My memory- when I was in high school two of my sisters and I decided to cook a frozen pizza one night. We each had 2 slices. I claimed one of the last two slices since I cooked it. My younger sister touched my older sister in the nose when she was discussing it. My older sisters nose started to bleed. It would not stop. A trip to the doctor was next. A trip to the hospital via ambulance ensued when he could not stop it.
I remember my younger sister being worried about her dying. The ER was able to stop it after cauterizing her nose. The ER thought it might have been a case of abuse at first. It is now one of those family stories that is often told.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

food memory
Old 01-19-2022, 05:28 AM

I was really young and pizza was still a novelty. On hot summer evenings my Dad would drive to get a pizza. My sister and I would get to have an 8oz glass bottle of Coke. That was a very rare treat. We'd sit on the little patio dad had made off the back step of our post-war apartment.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-19-2022, 08:21 AM

Growing up my parents owned a bakery and cafe. I remember going with them early, early in the morning and enjoying fresh carmel rolls as they came out of the oven Ahhhh, yum, yum, yum. I also enjoyed fresh warm cinnamon twists as they came out of the fryer....even before they were glazed. Delicious.

What a great family story tctrojan! ....touched her nose. I am sure you share that memory often.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM

I grew up in a family of nine and we were well fed but there were few extra and snacks were a very special treat. My favorite food memories were my Dad’s homemade treats—fresh popcorn in our own little brown paper bags, homemade peanut brittle and candy (not caramel) apples hardening outside in the cold winter snow. Thank you for coaxing my memories this morning.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Old 01-19-2022, 09:21 AM

My favorite food is a hamburger. When McDonald's came to our town in the early 60's, we would get hamburgers from McDonald's, pick up my grandma, and take them to a park on the river and watch the water skier team practice. It's one of those memories that has always stayed with me!

Another hamburger memory is during the winter when we couldn't go to the river, Mom and Dad would fix hamburgers for supper on Sunday nights. The best part was that we got to eat in the living room, on the floor on a tablecloth, in front of the TV! That was living!!

Favorite drink has always been Pepsi. When we were little Mom would only buy what she called colored pop: strawberry, orange, grape, etc. She would never buy Pepsi, so when I could have it somewhere I went for it!

freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I love a good steak
Old 01-19-2022, 11:13 AM

When I was about ten years old and growing like a weed I was hungry all the time. My family decide to go out to lunch. My parents chose a restaurant that served everything from burgers to expensive steaks. Mom and dad were thinking burgers for lunch. I was thinking steak. The big steak came out on a metal platter at this establishment and was called "The Sizzler" and it was still sizzling when it was served.

Anyway when it came to my turn to order I said."I'll have a Sizzler". My parents laughed and I truly had no idea why they were laughing. Then dad asked if I was really hungry enough to eat that that big steak and I answered with a definite, "YES!". So they said okay you may have the steak.

I ate the whole thing and believe it or not I did not have indigestion afterwards. I did not eat my salad or fries, but I did finish The Sizzler. I often remembered this evetn when my boys were about the same age and could make food disappear faster than I could buy it. They were bottomless pits!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-19-2022, 01:14 PM

My German grandmom use to make Knuffla, which is bread dumplings with bologna boiled. Yummy. I came to love the cucumber/potato salad she made to eat with it. It was made with flour. When my grandmom died my cousin came up from FL and we decided to make Knuffla as a memory of her. Well my mom had her flour, sugar, etc in the pantry in plastic containers. Yep, I used sugar instead of flour Not good. We still laugh about it 25 years later.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 PM

My favorite food, or comfort food, is peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a cup of hot tea w/ milk in it.

The memory is when I was a teenager, I would eat breakfast, a big lunch at school then 2 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches as a SNACK when I got home. Then I'd have dinner later. I didn't gain a pound. Oh, to have that metabolism again!

My friend turned me onto the cup of hot tea with milk in it, and it complemented the sandwich perfectly!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote