Help

Second Grade

word walls

>

SDmom3

word walls
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How many use word walls. I did in kindergarten and first. Moved to second. One teaching partner has one, the other does not. Thanks for you input!

SDmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sebastian

word wall
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start the year with one posting the children's names. Then I move to sight words and curriculum words. Then I post frequently missed words we pull from our writing but I must admit it I don't really do a lot with the words. I should either use it or lose it!!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

goodwork

word wall
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am deciding to get rid of it this year. . . had one for 10 years with names, and high frequency words. Didn't use it enough to give it the valuable bulletin board space that it takes up. This year I will be posting math, science and social studies vocabulary, and math anchor charts instead. I'm giving the kids individual notebooks with their words listed in alphabetical order.
goodwork is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

word wall
Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I believe a word wall comprised of high frequency words which are introduced five at a time and constantly reviewed is an absolute necessity. There are many resources available to help you maximize the effectiveness of your word wall. But, as stated by the previous posters, if you are not going to help children develop owneship of the wall, and as a result,have them actually use it, you might as well not have one.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

DrivingPigeon

Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I started the year with a word wall last year, and I got rid of it about halfway through the year. My school purchases Quick Words, which my students were using much more frequently.

http://www.curriculumassociates.com/...ook&topic=SQW0

DrivingPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

I love mine!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used a word wall last year because I was told it was required. I teach 100% ELL students at a Hmong charter school (2nd grade). I posted vocabulary words related to the content I was teaching. We also added a "synonym wall" as an off-shoot to the word wall. My kids loved it. It helped them with the vocabulary. Then, as activities, I would have them pick a word from the word wall, define it, and draw a picture to go with it. The kids loved those sorts of activities. The word wall changed as our units changed.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

As previously mentioned I did in K and 1 but
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

my 2nd grade team taught me to use my space for Spelling words and sound patterns. I have a huge pocket chart with Tier 1 and 2 words - we call the #2 words POWER words (it acts as a dictionary or glossary) to have a simple list then an alternate word that is more complex- ie "happen" and "occur" the words come from our reading for the week or from our purpose statements we post for the 'why' we are doing an activity.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do a word wall! It is SO important for my students, especially my ELL students. On the word wall, we have our names and high frequency words on it. Then I have a science word bank that is split into two sections: one for content science vocab (i.e. thermometer, cirrus, etc) and one for the study of science (observe, investigate, etc). I also have a word bank for math words.

I am hoping to have a spot in the room for words that are frequently misspelt.
MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote