Help

Violet Room

Native American: book & lesson??

>

LauraLiz

Native American: book & lesson??
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I haven't taught SS in 9 years, since my first year teaching and this year I am teaching my own class science and social studies. I'd like to take a few days to read a picture book centered on a Native American theme and then do some sort of activity or craft. I teach second graders. Our third grade does a huge unit on Pilgrims and colonization. I am looking for more of a respectful way to look at a few aspects of Native American life long ago. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA!

LauraLiz

Old 11-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am wondering if maybe no one does this anymore because of fear of upsetting someone. I want to keep it respectful, but maybe it is safer to not do anything. Hmm..

oldsub

Native American respect
Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Please don't ignore the Native American role in history. If you are looking for Thanksgiving themed lessons in general, try going to Scholastic.com. They have carried good lessons in the past comparing the lives of Native Americans and the Pilgrims. One thing that I have found in the past is that children think that there are no longer any Native Americans. Perhaps you can find a book depicting them in modern times. I'm sorry that I don't have titles for you now, but I know there are some. Check Amazon.com or with your local librarian. You might also try looking at the Plymouth Plantation website. I hope this helps.

LauraLiz

Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. My goal was to do a then and now and not teach anything about Pilgrims. I know third grade covers that and I was looking for more of a cultural experience for my class. I'm not giving up, just still hunting!

Marbear727

Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out the book Encounter by Jane Yolen... it's an amazing story through the perspective of a young native boy. I teach first grade, it is a higher level book therefore it requires a lot of teacher interpretation and rereading. I think it's crucial to inform students of the true history and not just the "picture perfect" thanksgiving. We talk about how cruel some of the Pilgrims were to the N.A....

It all begins with a mini-unit surrounding C.C. - how he took slaves, what he was actually looking for, his justification for his actions etc.

We also take a more in-depth look at N.A. life.
Unfortunately I didn't build one this year, but, another colleague and I built a life-size wigwam in the school courtyard with our students. They seem to have a better understanding of their way of life when they experience it.

Also, if any of you are near Mystic Aquarium, they have an AMAZING in school field trip depicting how N.A. utilized the seashore for survival. Check it out!

4cips

Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our anthology has a story in it called The First Americans. (Don't know author's name off hand). It goes over native Americans of each region, giving a general idea of typical housing style, foods, customs, etc. It ends with a page about how Europeans wanted the land for themselves.

One thing I do that goes with the story is a writing. I have a page of native American symbols and what they mean. The kids use the symbols to write a story. Then we take brown construction paper and crumple it all up - when you undo it, it looks like leather. They copy their story onto the "leather". They look neat, and parents like them at Open House.