Forget-me-not Room

Using Person Reading Street for Writing =/

>

Jenn81

Using Person Reading Street for Writing =/
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi I am a new teacher,

And I am told that I need to use our districts new Reading Street program for writing (yuck). I am so confused as what to do. I teach G4 and we read Becuase of Winn Dixie and now the students have 5 days to complete a writing assignment which i think is somwthat difficult. They have to write a realistic fiction story about a character who has a turning point.

I feel that it is difficult for students to start doing this before they write personal narratives, but I have to follow rules.

Does anyone have some suggestions , I feel like my students barely grasp the concept of a plot. I know the kids will do it, but the time restraints are making me feel like a crappy teacher. I feel like I don't know to begin...

Help please

Auntie M

I feel you pain
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 3rd grade and we started using reading street last year. We're asked to stay faithful to the manual. We're only given 35 minutes for writing which is another challenge. I used to do the Lucy Caulkins workshop and I loved that routine. The way I do Reading Street /6 traits now is, I combine days 1 and 2. There's no writing the first day, but I teach the genre and trait with the overhead transparencies provided. I also try to use picture books that demonstrate that trait. For days 3-5, we write, revise, and sometimes we publish and sometimes we don't. I use writing folders and work in mini-lessons and conferences-- just more on the fly and impromptu. That way my more prolific writers aren't held back, and my struggling writers feel accomplished at the end of the week. We also do our program on a 6 week schedule. I use that sixth week for assessments during reading and focused writing like holiday pieces and read aloud responses/creative writing during the writing and any excess reading time. Maybe you could do Winn Dixie as a read aloud then have them do a creative writing assignment you design. That way you can feel like a teacher and not a robot reading a script all the time. I hope this was helpful. Good luck! {)