Help

Bluebonnet Room

Reading instruction formats

>

peaches5

Reading instruction formats
Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a recent graduate and am currently substitute teaching until I get my own classroom. My desire is to teach 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade. Fortunately, I have lots of spare time to start developing how I want to structure my classroom.
Right now my question is this: What different methods are out there (and what have you found that you like best) for reading instruction? For example: Daily 5, Four Block, etc.
I know that there are a lot of unknowns at this point (like the school/district may implement a certain format), but I want to at least start somewhere.
Thanks guys!

yumateach99

Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a huge fan of Daily 5 and CAFE. It can be used with any district-mandated curriculum and serves as a system for managing students' behaviors and keeping them engaged in meaningful literacy tasks throughout the reading block. It has worked beautifully in my second grade classroom this year.

peaches5

:)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! I am strongly considering trying to figure out how I would use Daily 5 and CAFE with Treasures. Everything I have read about it seems positive and effective. I don't personally know a teacher who has used it, but I'm wanting to give it a try!

ThunderTeach

Whole class, direct instruction for me.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I still favor whole class, direct instruction. It's always great when every student in the class is reading the same material so that we can discuss it as a big group. With balanced literacy, and guided reading, etc.... the trend is to use groups, etc, by readability level. But, these sorts of programs, while addressing certain issues, also have their problems.

Ultimately, I wouldn't think too much about this as you may get a teaching job in which you will not be permitted to decide these teaching methods for yourself. Some school districts are far more structured. So, before you spend too much time mulling this over, keep that in mind.

Cerelien

Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What you'll love about Daily 5 and Literacy Cafe is the blend of direct teaching, and small group/individual teaching. You generally teach and review reading strategies during the "Mini-lessons" before the Daily 5 rounds, and then when you work with small groups and individual students, you target the specific reading strategies that those learners need to work on.

Daily 5 is the structure that provides the time for you to give more meaningful instruction to individual learners. Literacy Cafe gives you specific, highly researched reading strategies organized into a way that is accessible to the students. It's fantastic to hear the students take responsibility for their own, individual learning ("I know that I need to work on my accuracy. I need to read the words. So, I am going to try (insert name of accuracy strategy here), because that will help me read the words.")

When I want something to be accessed by the whole group, I will read it aloud. I have readers from level 0 (Kindergarten) to level 27 (end of Grade 3) in my Grade 1/2 class. I would never expect my students to read the same text, but I might want to do something with a text, particularly in social studies. Reading it aloud gives all students the same ability to comprehend the passage, and then they can relate to it, and we can work with it.

On another note, there is a trend to move away from traditional groupings by readability level. I haven't grouped my students by readability level in 4 years. I see my students primarily individually, and "read with them" the same way I did with my own children... coaching them through the book that they are already reading from their book box. We start by reviewing what their goal is (accuracy, comprehension, fluency, or vocabulary. In my class, most students are working on accuracy), and then we review what specific strategies they were working on (most are working on stretch it out, and cross checking). Then, they continue reading from whichever page they were on when I sat down beside them, and I listen to see if they are using those strategies. When they get stuck, I act as their coach, and help them use the strategy, if they need me to. Then we end the conference by reading what I noticed from their reading today, and what the next steps are.

I have 3 rounds of daily 5 lasting for 15-20 minutes each, so I read with 6-9 students individually each day. That means I see all of my students 1 on 1 twice a week, and my most at risk students *every* day. I will sometimes pull a 'strategy' group (3-5 students working on the same strategy, but at different reading levels), but I really do feel that most students get a LOT more out of individual coaching time with me, than from direct class instruction, or small groups. Plus, it has the benefit of developing a really strong rapport with the students, and shows them that they are accountable for what we discussed at our last conference.

Just my thoughts