AH, what did i get myself into? help please.. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Visual & Performing Arts

AH, what did i get myself into? help please..

>

Olivia

Olivia

AH, what did i get myself into? help please..
Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so i'm a college student (jr), and I just got hired on as a K-6 art teacher in the elementary school next to the college, and i'm in charge, of EVERYTHING. I have no idea what to do...seeing how I have done no student teaching yet or anything. I would greatly appreacate any advice, from rules, structure of the class or lessons, because I have to do it all, it's really intimidating. I have no idea where to start. Thanks for any advice or good websites!

Meg G

Congratulations, Olivia!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The very first thing you should do is treat yourself to something deliciously decadent! Do you realize how many amazing teachers are looking for a job? I incorporate art into every part of my classes learning day and you will find tons of ideas on Google and other search engines. Start checking the bookstore and ask the kids what kinds of art they've really enjoyed creating. One art teacher we had several years ago chose a theme of the circus. All year long the children at every grade level from K through 6 worked on various elements of art....perspective, the color palette, shading, etc. In January she introduced a specific aspect of circus life to each grade. The kinders painted animal faces on paper plates, first graders made paper mache animals, 2nd graders traced their bodies and painted themselves as clowns. The older children created trapeze artists in motion, elaborate murals of the audience and free standing ringmaster, daredevils etc. For Open House the entire gym was turned into a 3 ring circus complete with audience [ the murals] attached on all of the walls.
It was phenomenal! Parents were enthralled and the children were so proud! You could do the same "schoolwide theme" with the rainforest, the dessert, hollywood, periods in history, etc. It might give you enough focus to search for specific project ideas instead of being overwhelmed. Good luck and enjoy every minute!
Meg G is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 08-20-2006, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would buy Harry Wong's First Days of School for basic how-to-set-up-your-class info. He has a lot of good ideas. Some of what he says may be a bit corny or outmoded, but most of it is very valuable.

I would read through our archives like crazy, figuring out how other teachers deal with their classroom management. I would find one system you like and go with it. A popular elementary system is card pulling or card flipping.

I like the previous poster's ideas for a schoolwide theme. Keep your lessons simple and your materials few. You probably won't have lots of different kinds of materials to work with anyway.

Most of all, remember you're the adult and you are the authority figure in the room (even if you don't feel like it). Good luck!

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

Art
Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Go to the public city library and check out art books. It's free and you get lots of ideas. Maybe a glyph will get you started. Private Message me for more help.

ART
www.talentedkidzone.com/crafts/flakehowto.html There are several unique art ideas at this site.

A very good site for all ages is http://www.kinderart.com/sitemap.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/artlessons.html

Make a plain branch tree. Students thumb print on leaves.

Blow up orange balloons. Let students make a Jack-O-Lantern face on the bottom of the balloon. Make a vine on the BB and attach balloons where the knot is to the pumpkin vine.

Make snowmen with cotton balls.

Draw three different leaf patterns. Let students draw around the different leaves using different colored paper and make a collage.

Take a piece of black paper and make an outline of a pumpkin or other shape. Take a push pin and go around the outline. Leave a space between holes. Hand up to the window and let the light shine through. It works best to have some carpet squares to lay the paper on while punching the holes.

GLYPHS
turkey at: www.teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html St. Patrick activity site Bear glyph……. www.teachingheart.net/stpattyday.html http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedF...131/others.html
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFo...31/others.html
http://www.abcteach.com/search.php?q=glyph

http://www.eduref.org/cgi-bin/printl...s/MPS0206.html

http://teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html

Scratch Art ---Avoid getting grease from fingers or palm on black coating. Keep point of wooden stick dry. Students love to see the drawing magically appear in color.

George Washington Rubbing ---Have an outline of an eagle with wings spread. With red and blue colors, make rubbings of a George Washington quarter. Over lap the quarters. This is really pretty.

Leafy Creatures. ---Autumn leaves Students enjoy stretching their imaginations with leafy creatures, made by using leaves to form the body shapes of animal, people and so on. Paste the leaves on paper and stand out in low relief.
----Trace around a few leaves on a sheet of paper, then color the shapes with crayons and paint the papter with an equal mixture of water and tempera. The wax from the crayon will resist the paint, and the leaves will stand out.

Paper sculpture ---simple and unique patterns at http://www.elbalero.gob.mx/kids/bio/html click on zoo animals. You will find an owl, worm, cat, horse, cricket, elephant and etc.

Foil Etching
1. Tape a piece of tin foil to a piece of cardboard.
2. Add a couple of drops of liquid dishwash to a small amount of tempera (or acrylic) paint.
3. Brush paint over the entire piece of foil and let dry.
4. Using the popsicle stick, carefully scrape a design into the paint.
Glue the finished piece to a sheet of construction paper

Last edited by hescollin; 08-20-2006 at 08:59 AM..
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

pattyk

Art Ideas
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am still having withdrawal pains since I retired in June after teaching Art for 30 years. A really good site is www.crayola.com, they have many good ideas, are relatively easy and often cross-curricular. Remember to smile, enjoy yourself, have a few rules, and listen to the kids.

pattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ari

Ari

Some advice
Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Olivia, Congrats on your new job, I am just starting my second year as an elementary Art teacher, and last year was so overwhelming!!! to say the least, I was a traveling teacher between a high school and an elementary school. This year I will be only with elementary so that will be nice.

One thing to set you up is to create a great bulletin board outside of your classroom (hopefully you have one) to introduce yourself, because you are a new teacher you will have students and fellow teachers reading it, that would be nice, or if you want to concentrate on art only you can create a nice catch phrase like "Dive into Art" I used this one last year it came out really nice.

Also you may have days that you will walk into the classroom and say to yourself, "what am I doing today?" don't worry you will figure it out, just remember to write everything down so you have a log of what you did. Try to stay organized!!! its hard.

Instead of writing Rules, call them Classroom Expectations! that sounds bettrer, keep them short and simple, especially with the little ones, about six will do, like:

Always have your eyes and ears open for directions.
Keep all your bodyparts to yourself (arms, hands fingers, feet...)
Be Nice!
Respect Art Materials at all times.

something like that, im out of the teacher mode for now enjoying my summer, but will get back to it shortly. As I was writing these rules down it came to me maybe you can build the rules with them, for example: Always have your ______ and _______ open for directions. You can have them guess what goes in the blanks, and instead of adding the words you can add a picture of eyes, and ears, or a picture of a child with eyes wide open and so on, the bodyparts one will be funny with the little kids, you might want to change the wording for the 5 and 6th graders.

That's some advice,
I hope it helps,
Ari
Olivia

Olivia

Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow, thank you guys so much for the advice...i would have gotten back to ya'll sooner but i lost the link to this forum! I'm still working on the whole orgazational things... plus i'm really fortunate because i'm just teaching 7 classes a week....k-6, one class each grade, its a small elementary school connected to the college i'm going to. I have a lot of parents that what to help, so that's nice, but i'm not sure what i want them all to do yet. also, do any of you know a good basic supply list that i might need to get me through the year? i don't think i have a set budget, but i know that parents are willing to donate things, but i need a supply list, and i'm not sure what i need.....thanks again!
katez

katez

elem art teacher 1-6
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi-Congrats!
I'm not going to offer mnay lesson ideas because there are a ton out there. Here's how I run my classes. Each kid in 3-6 grade makes an oaktag folder with a pocket to keep their work in every week. Makes things organized. Never give the students any materials to told, hold, put in front of them until you are done speaking. -Write the word A_R_T on the board when they arrive. Every time you tell them to quiet down, erase a letter, when letters are gone, so is the talking priviledge. Have the students do as much passing out and cleaning up as possible tp get multiple tasks done at one time. Above every table, put an empty paint can hanging with a solid piece of scrap fabric coming out of it, so that each table is the "red" table, etc. Don';t try to rush a project to get finished, it's better to give them a few minutes the following class to finish up so their work turns out better. Come up with a rubric to grade with that you use for every project based on craftsmanship, understanding lesson objectives, use and care of materials, Behavior and effort and participation. These are the things you'll look for in every project so don't try to come up with a different rubric to grade each project- You"ll go crazy- Finally- good luck and congrats- I love my job and it's my 10th year- I would not want to teach anything else!