Help

Special Education

Letter Reversals with Technology

>

bcarey303

Letter Reversals with Technology
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am currently a junior college future teacher candidate that is placed in a classroom with 2nd grade students that are all identified as dyslexic. The only time that I am with the students is in their computer class. The students are currently working on identifying the alphabet on the keyboard, however are struggling to identify certain letters on the keyboard and experience confusion (for example, they will hit the B button, when they should be hitting the D button). How should I help to address this confusion when working with the students in a computer/typing based classroom?

bcarey303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

they're doing it on the uppercase?

have you tried teaching hand position? If you always teach them the B and D fingers, then maybe they'll get it by repeated practice.

the only thing I'm thinking of right now is put a blue dot on the B (blue starts with B) and a maybe a dog sticker on the D key.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

bcarey303

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a great idea! They are currently learning to keep their fingers on the "home row", but that has been a struggle as they are still unfamiliar with where all of the letters are located on the keyboard. The keys on the keyboard are all uppercase, however the students are practicing typing lowercase letters -- which has also lead to much confusion amongst the students.

The sticker idea is great though! Thank you!
bcarey303 is offline   Reply With Quote