Help

Magnolia Room

Discipline without Stress

>

1stgradenew

Discipline without Stress
Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to RC and I plan to also use the 4 levels of behavior from the book Discipline Without Stress...which I think many of you RC teachers use as well. I'm not sure if this was in the book or someone else's idea (maybe Bookmuchers, I can't remember) to make a big chart showing the different levels in different situations. I also plan to read a book or two that shows all 4 levels. But, I'm not sure exactly how to introduce the levels. Should I introduce the levels, then read the book, then have them help me make chart (I think I will have groups draw the pictures)? How have you introduced the levels to your class?

miss.anderson

Abcd
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm...I am planning on using the levels of behavior this year but I hadn't thought of using a book to introduce the levels...Do you have a book in mind that you think would work?

It didn't occur to me until reading your post that I haven't thought a whole lot about how I will introduce the levels...I was thinking about just telling them the names (using BookMuncher's simplified titles - Acting out, Bothering Others, Cooperating, Doing the Right Thing) and then talking about what that would mean during each time of the day...I was going to start with RW - What would it mean to be acting out of control during RW? I'm hoping they'll get the hang of the levels by making it specific to times of day...but do you think that isn't enough of an explanation/introduction?

km

books for levels of behavior
Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a list of books for each level of behavior, but it is at school and I don't go back until tomorrow. I will try to remember to find it. The website for Discipline Without Stress has a lot of good information and resources also.

km

found my book list
Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was cleaning out my binder from last year and found my list -
Level A - Mean Soup, Miss Nelson is Missing, We Share Everything, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, When Sophie Gets Really Angry

Level B - Crickwing, Recess Queen, King of the Playground, Chester's Way, Weekend With Wendell, Three Cheers For Tacky, The Practically Perfect Pajamas, How to Lose All Your Friends, Big Bad Bruce, Goggles

Level C - Disappearing Ducks, The little Red Hen, The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza), The Enormous Potato, Its My Birthday, Swimmy, Whoever You Are, The Mitten Tree, B. Bears Lend a Helping Hand, Thudwick the Big Hearted Moose, Berlioz the Bear, Farmer Duck

Level D - Snowflake Bentley, Big Bad Wolf is Good, The Hole in the Dike, Brave Irene, Runaway Rice Cake, The Quiltmakers Gift, Little Toot, Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge, Rainbow Fish, Miss Rumphius, The Legend of the Lady Slipper

I hope this is helpful.

miss.anderson

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am definitely going to work some of those books into my explanation...I think it will really help them to see get what I'm talking about

ladydi

km
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks km for the book titles. I was wondering when to read the books. Before teaching the levels or after. What works best for you class?

km

books
Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually use one before as a way to start a discussion and then identify the behavior level. Then I will use a couple more to further illustrate that level of behavior - I don't read them all on the same day.

ladydi

km
Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks a lot!

Carolynn

Hole in the Dike
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I highly recommend Hole in the Dike as an example of Level D. I've used it over and over again. The kids really seem to get it. I read the book. Discuss and introduce the level as we discuss it to make the connection. I then have them come up with examples for each level that correspond with the places they go during the day...the classroom, hall, bathroom, recess, etc.