Help

Magnolia Room

Lunch/Recess as a group?

>

maryw

Lunch/Recess as a group?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been reading the 1st 6 Weeks of School. I believe it is based on the Responsive Classroom approach.

The book suggests assigning students in small groups to eat lunch together and then continuing with a full class activity for recess for the first 2 weeks, instead of letting them choose who they eat with and what they do on their recess. I agree that not knowing who you will sit with or play with is tough on many. I also know that many 6th graders will be pretty upset when I tell them we are going to do something together during their lunch/recess. Has anyone done this with 5th or 6th graders (or older) and if so how did it go?

Bananabucksub

Lunch and recess
Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My fourth graders have assigned seats at lunch and they absolutely HATE it. So on Fridays we eat in the classroom. THAT is an incentive for them to behave so I don't mind at all. They are doing better in the lunchroom because of that also. As for recess, I would NEVER tell them who they can and cannot play with. I DO make them walk if they choose to misbehave in the classroom.
Jennifer