Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Vertigo persistent

>

smithf1

Vertigo persistent
Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 AM

I have had persistent vertigo for over a week. I had had a regular appointment with my endocrinologist who felt it might be related to higher BP. So I took BP 3-4 times a day for 6 days and it wasn't great, but not high either. He suggested calling primary doc.

Got a very thorough exam including EKG which was irregular. Now I am scheduled for a head CT to rule out issues there and an echocardiogram.

Meds he prescribed for vertigo are marginally helpful, but maybe I need to give that time, too.

Not what I wanted with parent conferences coming next week! UGH

smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Eppley manuever
Old 11-02-2018, 04:35 AM

Ask your doctor about moving your head/body in an eppley manuever. You can find it on youtube. May not work depending on what the underlying cause is.

A physical therapist can help too...depending on underlying cause. I would go to the dr again asap.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

vertigo
Old 11-02-2018, 05:18 AM

Feel for you. My primary just had me taking a motion sickness pill slept all the time. Neurologist ordered B12 and and copper blood work. My B12 was off the chart low. Certain meds I take prevent the body from absorbing B12. Just a thought. Physical Therapy trained in vertigo management is a good suggestion!!!
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Vertigo
Old 11-02-2018, 05:43 AM

None of the medications do anything for me. The eppley maneuver works like a charm. Your doctor should be able to do it or find it on you tube.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 AM

I've started having (a few different types of) on and off dizziness/funny feelings since last summer. For the past couple of weeks, it's been about daily and the most severe ever. I finally saw a neurologist early last month (Oct). He ordered a blood test and brain MRI so far, which I'll have in 2 wks.

It's not a good feeling, I know! I pray that God heals us ALL from whatever we're afflicted with!

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-02-2018, 07:09 AM

You're fortunate life goes on with your vertigo. Mine is incapacitating. All I can do is lie on the floor (when I’m not doing the nausea thing). I’ve also done CT scans, an MRI, medication, and more. I even tried a chiropractor. Since a brain tumor was ruled out, I’m convinced it’s BPPV (google it, here’s one https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20370055 ) because mine comes and goes. Knock wood, it’s gone right now. I’ve always wanted to try the Epley Maneuver, but I’m always horrified by the thought of moving like that when I’m experiencing vertigo. I will be thinking of you—vertigo is awful. I wish you great good luck.

Last edited by amiga13; 11-02-2018 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Spelling
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 AM

My DH takes the NON-DROWSY motion sickness pills for his dizziness. It has helped tremendously.

Hope you get yours under control. Hard to put your life on hold while you are dealing with vertigo.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

You probably have the bpv vertigo.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 AM

See a physical therapist that does the eply manuver. Theyíll get rid of it for you. Iíve been told it will always return. Such a bummer.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigfoot

poor you
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Nothing worse than dizziness. Do the head exercises they really help and only take a couple of minutes. I take serc everyday for dizziness and tinnitus. It took a couple of weeks and then worked well.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-02-2018, 05:05 PM

I am so sorry to hear this! Vertigo is horrible! After you finish the necessary procedures with the doctor and all is well in those areas. And if you still have vertigo, you might want to see out a chiropractor or physical therapist. They have procedures to treat persistent vertigo.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Vertigo
Old 11-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Iíve been suffering from this, too. Itís gone for now. I was already seeing a physical therapist for my knees so he performed the Epely maneuver on me during one of our sessions. In fact, he called over a bunch of physical therapy students to see first hand how my eyes would react as I went into a spin. I guess the eye movements are hard to explain and see on video.

It didnít help right away but eventually the vertigo went away. Now Iím just dizzy every so often. I have an appointment with en ENT in December. I have ringing and fluttering in my ear, too as well as headaches with slight loss of hearing.

I hope you find answers. Itís miserable!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM

the Epley maneuver only works on certain types of vertigo, apparently.

you might also try the half somersault/Foster method. (you can do this one yourself)--might take a couple tries. it helped me last year at this exact time last year when i was having room spinning, vomit-inducing (thankfully nothing while driving) vertigo.

here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ucpWIIC3g

(i was completely helpless just reading a handout with visuals---just like i was useless when my kids needed help putting together Legos)

good luck--it stinks to feel out of control!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 11-02-2018, 07:13 PM

You have my sympathy. I have vertigo too and have had symptoms most of Oct. Some bouts, like this one, are mild and some are worse than others and leave me in bed with my eyes closed. The eply maneuver and anti nausea meds help me most. But I've also had good luck with physical therapy. I suggest you continue to have everything checked out. It helps me to limit time on the computer, and of course no sudden head movements. Good luck with conferences.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

vestibular physical therapist
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 PM

You should definitely go see a vestibular physical therapist. My DH is a physical therapist and that's his specialty. There are a number of things that could be causing your dizziness. A good therapist with the proper knowledge and training will be able to do a thorough evaluation and treat your dizziness or refer you to the correct doctor.

Often, it's something simple and straightforward like crystals that need repositioning. But there are occasions where the testing indicates that it's a central nervous system issue and he will send his patients to a neurologist for further evaluation.
frecklejuice is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 AM

There was another maneuver given to me called the barbecue roll, but you need to know which side (right or left) is affected for best results.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Epley maneuver
Old 11-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Thank you all for your answers and prayers.

My doctor had given me exercises to complete to help with the vertigo. I googled Epley and those are the exact ones he's prescribed for me to do. They help for the moment, but vertigo sensation still comes back as inopportune times.

I think the -not knowing the cause is as unnerving as the sensation itself.

Thanks again PT friends, you always make me feel better.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote