The VENT

Does this happen to anyone else?

>

MarigoldMarg

MarigoldMarg

Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Each year I get excited about the summer break.

Then, it is here, and I fall into a depressive slump.

It 's as if my mind focuses on all of the negativesd in my life, and I do not have a heavy workload to distract me, as would be the case during the school year.

To make matters worse, my self-esteem plummets, too, and I then I find myself in despair.

Does anyone else struggle with this, too?

LaFish

Sometimes
Old 06-14-2019, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found that keeping a sleep/wake schedule helps me from feeling a bit down. Are you sleeping well? Do you like a schedule? Try to have a sort of schedule daily. That kind of helps me. I may go walking at 7am, tidy up at 9, lunch at 12, drive to do errands at 1, etc. Do you have a regular routine to keep you moving? Do you keep in touch with coworkers over the summer?
Hope you feel better soon!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yea and no. I think it is exactly like what LaFish says- having a schedule to keep you bisy is what makes the difference. The first couple weeks after school lets out Im still in a schedule of getting getting errands and appointments done and still feeling the relief so Im good. Come mid summer and I want to do nothing with no one and it is a pain to get moving and do anyhting. That is when my depression hits.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Yes
Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Too much down time is bad for me. I have always worked a small (20ish hours a week) summer job and kept my sleep schedule steady. Between those two things, I feel much more emotionally stable.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

summer
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I remember being so excited about summer but when it came I was so exhausted. Suddenly no routine. It is much different for teachers with children at home. It is difficult because your friends are still working in the day time.

The previous poster made good suggestions about having a type of routine each day. Do you have a hobby or craft that you never have time for when school is in session?

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Same here
Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All I am doing is getting my doctor appointments taken care of during these first couple of weeks. I don't have a vacation scheduled, and I will have a pretty open schedule for the remainder of the summer.

I mingle with and leaned on my grade level partners during the school year. I don't like feeling lonely over break.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 06-14-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Same here. For the first week, I just sat. We have family visiting this summer, so I had to get the house ready! I didn’t think I’d be able to enjoy them, but it’s good because I have more of a schedule and someone to keep me moving. When they leave, I’ll have to keep myself on a schedule.

But I’m glad school is out!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Sometimes...
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sometimes I do, yes. I find if I keep myself busy (definitely not school related things, though) I have less time to think about it. I go to the Y, walk, plan different outings (a mall, a touristy type area, a zoo, etc.), movies, short trips to visit relatives, etc.. When things are on my calendar, the less time I have to think about things!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I travel a lot. While out of town or at home, I walk a lot. Love going for 1-2 hour walks. I read lots of books while on planes, buses, trains, etc. Meeting up with others for lunch/dinner is also fun.
Summer has always been an incredible way for me to recharge.
If my house (with many piles and a little bit of clutter here & there) had any feelings, it would be sad, neglected, and depressed. There's no way I would ever invite guests inside.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes
Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Summer is usually the season i get very depressed

I have learned to confront negative self talk by listening to it, then saying, "that is not true." Then i force a thought that is positive. This became a good habit.

There are many things you can do to thwart this. Coming here is one. Thanks for reaching out. You never know how many people a thread like this might help

happygal is online now   Reply With Quote
routinesaregr

routinesaregr

Old 06-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My first week off I was actually so tired and exhausted that I started googling Epstein Bar. Now that I have caught up on sleep, I make sure I have a daily routine and scheduled items. I walk every day, declutter an area every day and check off my to-do-list every day. I will also work summer school for 4 weeks (for the money and the routine).
Like most people said: Most people need a schedule. I don't feel like walking every day (or really do the things on my list), but I know from experience that if I just let myself drift and wait until I can think of something 'fun' to do, aimlessness and depression will hit me hard. And a few weeks in my daily summer routine is something I start looking forward to.

Tapdancesub

Thanks all....
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Even though I am just a sub, I work pretty much full weeks. DD has been home from college so weíve been doing stuff. But she starts an internship next week, so Iím going to try to stick with the bit of routine Iíve established so I donít go there. So many projects here to do. I just have to begin.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

uoducks

Yes, me too
Old 06-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Great post! This is exactly what happens to me. I'm hoping for a better summer by staying on a consistent schedule.
I love summer but it also poses a challenge to stay out of the doldrums.
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I tend to get to a point where I want a regular schedule and routine again. My sleeping schedule gets so messed up. I always struggle with insomnia, and it's worse in the summer because I'm never really tiring myself out like I can in the school year. I wouldn't mind keeping a night owl schedule and sleeping in the mornings, but it gets to the point where I can't sleep at all and I end up sleeping some random 5-6 hours every 2 days or so.

Just yesterday I was supposed to meet up with some friends at a wine bar, but I hadn't slept in over 24 hours and it was going to be a huge hassle to get there and back (over an hour on public transit each way), so I cancelled assuming I'd fall asleep soon. Nope- couldn't fall asleep until about 7 AM today. At least I thankfully did get some sleep, because I have a birthday party to go to tonight.

I try to make social plans at least every few days or so, but that's hard to keep up with given the sleeping issues. I'm also taking some online classes this summer, and I'm actually liking the fact that it gives me something productive to do.

I'd love to do summer school, but my district only has two 3 week positions for the entire district- one reading person and one math person. Last year I interviewed for the reading and didn't get it. This year, they let the same reading person from last year do it and offered to let me interview for math, which I turned down. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten picked, and the person doing the reading isn't my favorite.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

summer slump
Old 06-17-2019, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have experienced a little of this in the past. But the past few years, I so look forward to summer. The school years are getting harder and harder to take. Too much to handle, so summer is a welcome break
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote