Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Help!!

>

noclue

Help!!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM

Okay, so I just had surgery on my thigh and 3 lymph nodes removed due to a malignant melanoma. Everything turned out okay, but of course, I have now developed a seroma. It's like a golf ball under my incision from my lymph nodes. here's the problem. I live in Jacksonville FL., and I had my surgery at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa FL...4 hours away...so...Do I make the trip to Tampa to have them excise the seroma, or wait it out for the next 10 days (that's when my follow up appt. is).

I just don't want to make this trip and have them say, it's okay, it will go away on it's own!! I asked if my primary care dr. can excise it and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I just don't want to be the boy who cried wolf!! Anyone with this experience with any advice?

noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 PM

First of all, I'm so glad everything seems to be ok! That is scary stuff What does the Cancer Center say? I'd call them first to see if they suggest waiting the 10 days or getting it excised now. I had to google seroma, that was a new one for me. Maybe taking a picture of it and sending it on to them may help them give suggestions?

Hope you get it resolved soon
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Dawn

Call the center in Tampa
Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 AM

First I'm glad everything is okay. I agree with Grace. Don't just wait the 10 days without calling the cancer center for advice. Call them and send them a picture of the seroma and get their advice.

Let us know how it goes.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 03-09-2014, 04:31 AM

I agree; call and ask. They should be familiar enough with this to say whether it can wait or not.

Hope it just subsides on its own. Glad you are otherwise okay.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

GottaLoveKids

I found....
Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 AM

I found this info for you, but it seems more specific to breast surgery. I hope it is helpful. So sorry you're dealing with this!!!

Seroma

Seromas are the most common complication after breast surgery. Seromas are collections of lymphatic fluid that build-up under the skin, in the area of the surgery. Seromas may occur because during breast surgery small lymphatic vessels were cut. As you heal these small vessels will seal and stop producing fluid. Until that happens, there is a chance that the fluid they produce may build-up. Drains are placed during some surgeries to help reduce seroma formation. Seromas feel like the surgical area has filled up with water. It often feels soft like a water balloon and some women report being able to hear a swishing as the fluid moves. They are often painless but can become full and tender. Treatment of a seroma varies according to the size and pain level. A small seroma that is non-tender may be left alone. If a seroma has become large and tender it can be aspirated at your surgeonís office. Aspiration of a seroma consists of inserting a small needle into the incision. This is usually not painful as the area tends to still be numb from the surgery. Once the needle is in a syringe is used to aspirate the fluid out. This should relieve any pain at the area. Sometimes this fluid will reaccumulate and require repeated aspirations. Seromas, whether they have been aspirated or not, should be evaluated for signs of infections. Warning signs that a seroma may be infected are: redness along incision, drainage of thick, foul-smelling, yellow or green material, fever or chills. Remember that seromas are extremely common. They have nothing to do with the cancer and are not a sign cancer is in the lymph nodes. If you think you have developed a seroma please call your surgeons office.

GottaLoveKids is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM

I had that after my breast cancer surgery and it went away on its own! You didn't say if you were in pain. I was not!

I am glad you are otherwise OK !

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Sorry people...I was NOT in pain! I did have a big honkin golf ball like thing on my thing near my groin that looked AWFUL!! I googled it and it said that fluid would build up in the tissues for up to 3 months. I had it drained 5 times, then got tired of the whole situation so just let it look like a big golf ball...I felt like the elephant man...lol... anyway...google said it would go away in 3 months...12 weeks...I am now on week 20 and STILL have this orange sized seroma on my thigh. It doesn't hurt, and EVERYTHING that I googled said it is not too bad, so I just ignored it! YIKES! Anyway, I go BACK to the Moffitt cancer center on Wednesday, and I will see what the doc has to say...for now, I just ignore it! Thanks for all of your concern. Oh, and just so you know...my primary doc excised it 4 times!!! YES!!! It still came back! I'll keep you posted!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote