Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Getting vaccine unexpectedly piggyback

>

twinmom95

Getting vaccine unexpectedly piggyback
Old 01-24-2021, 03:51 AM

So for those of you who have managed to unexpectedly get the first vaccine is there an issue with you scheduling your second vaccine since you weren't in the original group eligible?

I am all for them using up the extra doses rather than letting them go to waste. DD 25 just missed out at the grocery store the other day when they announced they had some extra doses. But it makes me wonder how those people go ahead and schedule their second dose?

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-24-2021, 04:17 AM

Every person I know was given the second vaccine appointment when they got the first shot. You return to the same place 3 or 4 weeks later. The idea is not just to find an arm to put an unclaimed dose of vaccine in, but to fully vaccinate that person so the dose wonít be wasted.

Although some online registration systems require you to choose a date for the second appointment when you sign up, in reality you get an actual 2nd appointment when you show up based on which vaccine you had and what the health organization expects about future allotments.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Cassyree
Old 01-24-2021, 04:54 AM

That's good to know about the 2nd appt. I am unclear as if our state is doing it that way or not. That way makes sense to me and what I thought should happen!

But I have seen on our local news where it says people are unable to get a second appointment within the timeframe the vaccine is supposed to be given. They say they go online and it's many weeks out past when they are supposed to have it.

This was a couple weeks ago, so hopefully they have changed/ fixed the system.

Mhugs do you know?

Last edited by twinmom95; 01-24-2021 at 07:12 AM..
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-24-2021, 05:22 AM

I havenít gotten my shot (nowhere near 65+ over which is the only people being vaccinated here) but here they are giving an appointment card with your second appointment already scheduled when you get your first shot.

ETA:
My county is using an empty Sears location in the local shopping mall to distribute vaccines. They have EMT staff on hand and youíre observed for 15 minutes afterwards. There have been no issues reported and my county has been recognized for doing the vaccine roll out exceptionally well for my state (based on our governorís guidelines).

They are also distributing at the convention center in the county next to mine. You do a ďdrive-byĒ but you stay on site for observation afterwards.

I have read that DisneyLand will be used as a vaccine site in CA.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 01-24-2021 at 06:56 AM..
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Twinmom 2nd dose
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 AM

I signed us up on state web sit and then got another thing from CDC? most of the same questions. They let you schedule one appointment. I am assuming when you get the 1st one they'll give you a time and date for your 2nd one.

I'm a little concerned that it is not in or near a medical facility. Is it going to be a drive up-roll by and get your shot type of deal?

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Yes
Old 01-24-2021, 06:48 AM

I unexpectedly got the vaccine and was given an appt. card for the second appointment for the end of February. That is a good question and I am on the same day with my husband who is in the age limit.
brooks56 is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 01-24-2021, 08:00 AM

I registered for both at the same time when I did it yesterday. Going this Tuesday and then four weeks later. Luckily, the site is five minutes from me and the first appointment is during small group time so I am able to go without missing the school day. You have to stay on site to be observed afterwards. There was about an hour window when it was possible to log in for an appointment before they ran out.

I had registered with the state and got an email the day before that i was eligible but couldn't find am appointment. I have a friends who are driving 90 miles to get their vaccine.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-24-2021, 11:14 AM

I have an appointment card but Iíll admit that Iím nervous. I get my second one on Feb. 5 so Iíll let you know how it goes.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 01-25-2021, 09:13 PM

I just got my first vaccine recently but was not able to make an appointment for a second dose at that time. The state is just overwhelmed with folks wanting to get a vaccine right now. The website crashed within hours of moving to the next phase. I finally got an appointment for the second dose but the supply chain seems unpredictable and I worry that there will not be enough doses, and what if my appointment gets canceled? Still, getting the first dose was such a happy day! I'm planning that it will be like the second shingles shot, fever and aches like the flu, and plan to be home but hoping it won't be too bad.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Vaccine
Old 01-26-2021, 06:34 AM

When we got the vaccine, we were told ahead of time that we must commit to the second dosage date. They wrote it on the back of our card and told us that was when we were required to come back.

They are keeping fairly meticulous records, so I assume they will be earmarking a specific number of vaccines for the second round. Going into the first round they did not know how many would come. After the first round, they know exactly the number of people who came, so they know exactly how many to expect on the second date.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote