Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sciatic pain--need some help...

>

kerrysgirl

Sciatic pain--need some help...
Old 01-24-2021, 12:38 PM

I am having a really bad flare up with my sciatic pain. It's been going on since the start of the year. Week before last, I gave up and went to my doc. He prescribed pain meds and muscle relaxers and urged me to use heat to help. I've been doing all of that. Still lots of pain and to top it, continuous fog and grogginess due the meds...I know I need to go back, and I will make the appointment...Anything else I could try at home between now and then? I'll be calling in the AM. Don't want to do express care as I would rather work with my own doc for this.

Thanks!

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-24-2021, 12:48 PM

I just went to my doctor for this! Google for YouTube videos for exercises you can do. I think Bob and Brad have several videos. The heating pad helps me when it's bad. I didn't get pain meds or muscle relaxers, but I am going in for x-rays this week.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM

When I worked as a medical transcriptionist many, many years ago, I had sciatic nerve pain that was awful. I came to realize that it was due to me sitting at that typewriter for a full work shift 5 days per week. I don't remember any exercises or medication as it was too long ago. I do remember getting another job that allowed me the freedom to get up from my desk and move around.

Are you sitting at your computer for prolonged periods of time? If so, are there ways you can get up and move around more?

I know how painful sciatic nerve pain is. I hope that you can find a solution and get rid of the pain.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 01-24-2021, 01:20 PM

Iíve been there, and agree with Annieís recommendations for exercises and a heating pad. In particular, Iíve had success with stretches in which you feel as if youíre making yourself as long as possible (standing with your arms above your head for about 15 seconds and/or lying on your side and doing the same).

There have been many discussions here over the years regarding physical therapy, chiropractic, etc. My recommendation is orthopedic manual physical therapy if your insurance will cover it.

Good luckóhope youíre feeling better soon!
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas K-Girl

Foam roller
Old 01-24-2021, 01:33 PM

I found a foam roller to be helpful. Found in exercise equipment section at Target or WM. The smooth one, not the bumpy one. I bought the bumpy one first and quickly returned. DD used it as well when she was pregnant. You sit on it basically and roll it. But hold onto something and be careful as it will roll you right off and onto floor.

Texas K-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-24-2021, 01:33 PM

I have had sciatica for many years and always found the heating pad to be of help. I also would find a particular way to sit to aleve the pain when sitting. Have you thought about an epidural? I have had those and it has helped too. I have decided the reason for my sciatica was stress related. I seemed to develope it when I was stressed at work, since retiring rarely have a problem.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 01-24-2021, 01:49 PM

Iím sitting on my hearting pad right now and then will do some stretches I found online. I know for me prolonged sitting makes it worse so Iím trying to be up moving around more and doing stretches two times a day. A hot bath helps too but that might be more psychological.
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 01-24-2021, 01:59 PM

I got sciatica in my second pregnancy and it flares up every now and again, especially if I am sitting a lot. Chiropractor and acupuncture help me more than muscle relaxers. I am so sorry. I know how much it hurts. When it is bad, I can barely walk.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-24-2021, 02:00 PM

DH had terrible sciatica. He scoured Craigslist and got a piece of equipment that allowed him to lay on a board head down. He swore it helped him. I think it was called an inversion something. It looked a bit like this:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Sciatca
Old 01-24-2021, 02:03 PM

All of the above plus a couple visits to my chiropractor.

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-24-2021, 02:55 PM

My SO hasn't been officially diagnosed, but he's probably developed this condition too in the last 1-2 mos. At first, he thought it was restless leg syndrome, but that crawly feeling is pretty much nonexistent. It's more about nerve pain. He doesn't want to see ANY doctors these days in this COVID time and fortunately overall, it hasn't been too bad.

Walking helps him a good amount, so we've started walking pretty much DAILY since a few weeks ago. I tell him about using the heating pad, but he said he'll get too hot.

I've known about those PTs' youtube channel Bob and Brad too and we've watched some videos. SO should do more stretches.

Have any of you tried that infrared type heating pad which is supposed to penetrate the muscle much deeper than a regular heating pad? Look here:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Thermo...0?ref_=ast_bln
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Tennis ball
Old 01-24-2021, 02:58 PM

When I get a flare up, it helps to lean/sit on a tennis ball. It loosens up the muscle and provides relief. I used it on an 11 hour car ride, and it saved my back.

We also have an inversion board, and it helps a lot.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-24-2021, 03:12 PM

I've had sciatic problems before. To be honest, the meds only hid the pain. The thing that made it go away was physical therapy.

You can look up the exercises on youtube as suggested. It will take awhile, and you must be loyal to doing them, but they work. I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't suggested physical therapy.

My suggestion would be to try those suggested exercises since the doctor already made the diagnosis. You will save a lot of money, by trying them at home. The physical therapy place will have some extra equipment for assigning extra exercises, if you end up going that route.

The physical therapy was the only thing to make it stop.
I do feel for you with the pain, sciatic pain is really bad.
Hope you can get relief.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-24-2021, 03:15 PM

My doctor did mention physical therapy, but I don't want to do that right now due to Covid. The exercises do help. Basically stop if they make it hurt, and do the ones that make it feel better.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-24-2021, 04:04 PM

I fell down the steps last summer and had a bad bout of sciatica. The thing that helped the most was going to a practitioner who combined medical massage with acupuncture. She discovered that my piriformis muscle was in spasm.
After 2 treatments, I received enough relief that I was able to do the recommended exercises. It still took about 6 weeks for it to get better, though.

So even though it felt like just sciatica, the piriformis was part of the big picture.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-24-2021, 06:14 PM

I don't know if you would be open to it, but whenever I've had sciatica the chiropractor has been a God send! DH also goes to one and he swears by chiropractic treatment for things like that.

Hope you feel better soon! I know how horrible the pain can be!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 PM

Have you tried a tens pain management device? We have one from Omron that we got on Amazon. It helps so much with all pains.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-24-2021, 08:14 PM

I did chiropractic visits and massage for mine. Chiropractor also showed DH some exercises to help me with.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 01-24-2021, 09:33 PM

I often have bad sciatica. My chiropractor helps a lot.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 01-25-2021, 06:40 AM

I'm a big fan of Physical therapists....give them a try. If it's any consolation...I just heard that the Pope cancelled some meetings because of his sciatica! Feel better soon. I know it's not fun.
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Have some experience here
Old 01-25-2021, 10:11 AM

The Bob and Brad physical therapy videos are great. They have lots of videos. Some tell do's and don'ts and others just give tips and exercises that can help. If you go with a foam roller, definitely go with a smooth one if using for sciatica. Squat, don't bend at the waist. Keep you shoulders in line with your hips. If you have to bend, put one leg out behind you. Alternate activities. Don't spend hours just sitting or standing. Walking is important, but take it easy, wear shock absorbing shoes and walk on a level surface. The idea is to strengthen your muscles to relieve the pain. Heat is good, but you only want to use it for about 20 minutes, then take a break. You can actually cause inflammation by over doing it with the heat. Also I assume one of your prescriptions is an anti-inflammatory. You can also work on an anti-inflammatory diet. Also, during cold weather, make sure your core is warm otherwise you might tense up. Avoid sitting on soft surfaces such as beds. Make sure you sit on surfaces that support your back, and don't lean against anything. If you can manage it, walk, walk, walk, then walk some more. The one thing that you have to remember, if it hurts, stop.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 01-25-2021, 07:25 PM

My sciatic issues started after baby #4 (that was a LONG time ago) and I did all the doctor/exercises/meds/physical therapy route. The only thing that finally helped was the chiropractor. I still go in occasionally for flare-ups. I hope you get some relief soon!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote