Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís Novemberówhat are you reading?

>

amiga13

Itís Novemberówhat are you reading?
Old 11-03-2019, 06:31 AM

*I just finished The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates and didn’t love it like I thought I would. Some of her stories about others are wonderful, but she doesn’t inspire me. I had trouble reconciling her privilege with the poverty she describes. Not the point of the book, but I did giggle at some of her personal stories, like the effects of Bill Gates driving his kids to school. I think maybe she just should have written an essay, or maybe just “A rising tide lifts all boats.”

*Yesterday I finished The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai. I can’t recommend this one highly enough. It’s the ‘One Book, One San Diego’ selection for 2019; I was reluctant to read it because its center is the AIDS epidemic and I try not to be intentionally saddened. Boy, am I ever glad I changed my mind. Brilliant story, so well told and accessible; beautifully written and easy to read. I loved these people, just people, with their anger and joy, love and friendship.

*Last night I started The Honey Bus by Meredith May. Great so far. I think the subtitle may sum it up: “A Memoir of Loss, Courage and a Girl Saved by Bees.”

What have you just read?
What are you reading now?
Do you have a ‘One Book, One Yourcity’ recommendation?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Right now
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Right now I am reading Eleanor Oliphant is completely Fine. I like it, but just haven't had the time to reply sit down and read it. I want to, though because there are so many books on my "to read" list.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

swalters

Thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 AM

I just put The Great Believers on hold.

I am currently reading Unsheltered by Barbara Kingslover. Not enjoying and will probally abandon it as soon another book comes in.

Before They Were Us Loved this book. It had me engaged from the beginning.

Washington Black also liked this book.

Really liked Spark of Light by Jodi Piccoult. Set in an abortion clinic in Mississippi, hard topic but good back stories and very relevent to today. I love the topics she writes about.
swalters is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Olive Kitteridge
Old 11-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Just finished this. At first I didnít like it but stuck with it. By the end I liked it quite a bot. May read the sequel Olive, Again.
lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Iím reading The Radium Girls. I put several others on hold.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Reading
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 AM

I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I just read The Kite Runner, and I like his writing so much I jumped right into this one.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Books
Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM

I just finished THREE WISHES by Leann Moriarty. I enjoyed it.
Also recently read THE GREAT ALONE by Kristen Hannah. It was very good, also. I am probably the only person I know who hasn't read THE NIGHTINGALE, so I think I will read that next.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Earlier in October, I read 'Serena' by Ron Rash. Well written but quite disturbing, not the kind of characters i like.
I really enjoyed a PT recommendation: Why we sleep, by Matthew Walker. Very informative, very interesting..., I'll try to protect my sleep even more now!

I also liked a lot : Girl, woman, other, by Bernardine Evaristo, which just won the Booker prize. Great characters, great stories and I like her style a lot!

I just started 'Gone to soldiers' ... Need to read a bit more of it
Last on my list, I bought 'Scattered brain: how the mind mistakes make humans creative, innovative and successful' by Henning Beck. Can't wait to start it!
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Books
Old 11-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Still reading Pioneers by David McCullough. Just haven't had much time for reading lately.

Next is John Grisham's "The Guardians."

Next on audio is "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko. Deals with the secret launching of a wooden dory down the Colorado in 1983 when the largest El Nino on record caused so much snowmelt that they closed the river to travelers. The book starts with the pre-history of the river itself, so there is lots of backstory, but necessary to the crux of the book. I started it on audio a couple years ago and was fascinating, but life got in the way. Going to actually buy the audio version so I don't have to be concerned with the return.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-03-2019, 09:18 AM

In October

I listened to:
Playing to the Gallery by Grayson Perry. It's for my book club. I loved it. I'm not sure how it would be to read it though so it'll be interesting to hear from my friends who read it as opposed to listening to it.
I started Whose Body by Dorothy L Sayers but I couldn't pay attention. I'll see if I can get a hard copy to read.

I read:
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. WW2 resistance, excellent.
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman. Magic and time travel and books--what more could you want?
A Pocketful of Crows by Joanne M Harris. Fairy tale with lovely writing
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley. So so. She's written much better books as she's aged.
The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton. A disturbing book. I finished it but I can't quite unsquinch my face.

I'm reading now:
Kitchen reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris. WW2, so far so good.
Bedside reading An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks. It's keeping me reading because I want to know if I'm right about what I think is going to happen next.
Public transit reading: Gone to Soldiers by Marge Piercy. I just started it and it's due in 20 days. It's long so I hope I finish it before it disappears from my phone.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 AM

Currently, I'm listening to Where the Crawdads Sing. I like it. I just finished Circling the Sun. I had no strong opinion about that one.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

current reads
Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 AM

I just finished The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo. Before I order the next one in the series from the library, I just started to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

Also this month I read A Sudden Light by Garth Stein. I really enjoyed it. He was in town for a speaker's forum recently. He is the author of The Art of Racing in the Rain (which I have on hold from the library).

Our One Book, One Community selection this year was Fly Girls by Keith O'Brien, nonfiction about five early female aviators. One of them is from the area. Very interesting.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

book
Old 11-03-2019, 10:15 AM

I am still reading Overstory by Richard Powers for my bookclub. It is over 500 pages, and at first I couldn't get into it, but after about 20 or so pages it started intriguing me. I still haven't progressed far, but the writing is phenomenal. However, it definitely is not a light read nor is it for everyone. I ran into one of the people in my bookclub, who said she disliked it and did not finish it and returned it to the library.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 11-03-2019, 11:16 AM

The Atomic City Girls
Itís super interesting and light. Itís about real women and men who worked during WW2 in a plant to make the a bomb, but they didnít what it was.

Radium Girls
Thatís on my list next. I hear itís really good.

A Bend in the Stars
This one was excellent. Excitement and love all in one book. It ended pretty quickly, but it was a great read. Itís about the race to prove Einsteinís theory of relativity right before WW1. Itís not a science books by any means, it just basis of the story.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 11-03-2019, 11:32 AM

CVT, me too!

I am also still working my way through The Overstory by Richard Powers. I am only a short way into it, but the writing is phenomenal. Some of the descriptive sentences have made me stop reading just to savor them. However, it is long, and dense, and a very slow build. I am enjoying it very much but I am sure it's going to take a while. Also, it won the Pulitzer.

Here is the Goodreads summary:

Quote:
The Overstory is a sweeping, impassioned work of activism and resistance that is also a stunning evocation ofóand paean toóthe natural world. From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Powersís twelfth novel unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century Timber Wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside oursóvast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn how to see that world and who are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-03-2019, 11:43 AM

I just started listening to John Grisham's The Guardians.
About 3 hours in and liking it so far.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 11-03-2019, 11:52 AM

I'll Be Gone in the Dark, by Michelle Mcnamara, about the search for the Golden State Killer.
Sadly, she didn't live to see him identified and arrested, but the book was fascinating to read.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

What Have I Read?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Blue Moon (new Jack Reacher book) by Lee Child

President's Henchman by Joseph Flynn

Lethal Agent by Vince Flynn

Backlash by Brad Thor

Undercurrents by Nora Roberts

The Chef by James Patterson

The Inn by James Patterson

Between You and Me by Susan Wiggs
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Finished The Admissions...
Old 11-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Definitely got better as it went along and the secrets/lies of the main characters were revealed. I think this book would make an excellent book club choice on a lot of levels.

I have a several library books out, but am going on vacation soon for a couple of weeks, so I will probably return them and take them out another time. I have a pile of my own books I haven't gotten through. Thinking of starting The Friends We Keep by Jane Green. I heard her speak at a local library in June, and the book sounded wonderful. She was personable and funny and gave a great author talk, as well.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Well, I just finished Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but definitely lots of food for thought. In that book, he mentioned another book When Montezuma Met Cortťs which is a subject I've always been interested in, so I checked the library and was able to get the ebook.

Then just now when I went into the app, it said The Testaments by Margaret Atwood was available as a skip the line loan. I am on the waiting list, but it said it would be months. Then this popped up, so I grabbed it. I had never seen that before so I looked it up in the help section and I guess some libraries keep some copies that can't be reserved, so they just are available when you get lucky enough to be online at the right time.

So right now I'm going back and forth between those two books!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I guess some libraries keep some copies that can't be reserved, so they just are available when you get lucky enough to be online at the right time.
Thatís really cool!

My library has some new books with no wait time, and a book I wanted was one of them, but to get the same book as audible shows a 300+ day wait time.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 11-03-2019, 02:14 PM

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
I like it- easy light reading .... I need to mix it up now and then
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Nov. books
Old 11-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Just finished Gone to Soldiers - very good
For book club I'm reading Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. It has moments of clever writing and humor, but I can feel the author pulling strings for the plot. It's not one I'd recommend.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 11-03-2019, 02:35 PM

I am reading two books - one is a young adult book.
The young adult book is Parallel Journeys. It takes place during World War II in Eastern Europe and Germany. It fluctuates back and forth between a young man who is part of the Hitler Youth and a young Jewish girl forced into hiding. It's very interesting and is based on true individuals.

I also just started Ghosted by Rosie Walsh.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Finished in October
Old 11-03-2019, 03:11 PM

The Immortalists- not my favorite

Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper- a delightful, easy read, with many similarities to A Man Called Ove. A widower breaks out of his routines and discovers a lot about himself and others.

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell- story of the treatment of 2 generations of women in Afghanistan. I enjoyed it greatly, but it was not a quick read for me.

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek- I enjoyed this book as well.

I have heard many great things about Why We Sleep and have that on the nightstand.

I am also wanting to read
Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
This is true accounts of people who were victims of Georgia Tan's atrocities.

My next bookclub book is Cilka's Journey. We enjoyed The Tattooist of Auschwitz and will be reading Cilka's continuing story.

I have just started Honolulu. I loved Molakai and thought I would read this before reading the Daughter of Molakai.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Book club last month was Secrets of a Charmed Life (Susan Meissner). It was the fictional story of two girls, sent to the country from London during WW2. I had never realized how traumatic it must have been for the thousands of kids that this happened to - and how it must have impacted an entire generation of London's children.

So I've been on a Susan Meissner kick ( I enjoy her writing, and she is very prolific):
A Fall of Marigolds - follows a scarf passed down through several generations, and how it impacted the women wearing it (ends with a 9/11 widow).

The Last Year of the War - follows a fourteen year old German American sent to an internment camp in the U.S. Again, I had realized Japanese Americans were detained in camps, but hadn't known about German Americans.

The Girl in the Glass - if you have been to Florence, Italy, or dream of going there, you will enjoy this story of a present time woman visiting Florence, and a parallel fiction story of a Medici daughter centuries ago.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo.

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel. This was fascinating, and also a little scary because I identified a little too much with the protagonist.

The Wedding Guest by Jonathan Kellerman. I usually enjoy Kellerman but this one was below his usual standard.

Wolfhunter River by Rachel Caine. OK but not as absorbing as the first two books in this series.

The Spirit Woman by Margaret Coel. I'm about halfway through. I usually enjoy books in this series. It's about an Arapaho attorney and a Catholic priest who work together to solve mysteries on the Wind River reservation.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-03-2019, 04:07 PM

This is my favourite thread of the month! Because of this thread, I now have 435 books on my For Later list

I forgot about One Book One City. I couldn't find anything for my own city but I found one for Waterloo in Ontario--the book is The Home For Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman. I read this in the summer. It's good--a Canadian book with a lot (a LOT!) of social commentary.

@puzzle1mom, Boy and I read Parallel Journeys together 12 years ago when he was in Grade 8. It was a Socials/English integration that lead to a lot of discussion at the dinner table.

@word girl, this sentence--"Some of the descriptive sentences have made me stop reading just to savor them"--made me put the book on hold at my library. You might enjoy reading A Pocketful of Crows because some of the language is stunning.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

I am reading
Old 11-03-2019, 05:06 PM

The Once and Future King. Wow. I did not know what to expect, and I sure didnít know it would be this difficult. I didnít know there were so many words I donít know. The best paragraph in any book is in this one. It is where Merlyn tells Wart the remedy for being sad.

ďThe best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then ó to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.Ē

And it goes on from there.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 11-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Finished
The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell

Starting soon for Book club Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Starting today: The Third Daughter
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

yrutching

October Reads
Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 PM

For those of you who like WW2 historical fiction and past/present stories, I read three very interesting books with granddaughters uncovering their grandmotherís lives and secrets during the war.

The Storytellerís Secret by Sejal Badami take place in India . This books really isnít about the war, but had many interesting facts about India. The Song of the Jade Lily by Kristen Manning is about a Jewish family from Austria that flee to Shanghai during the war. The Winemakerís Daughter by Kristen Harmel is set amid the champagne vineyards of France.

I also read Her Daughterís Mother by Daniela Petrova . It is more of a contemporary mystery. Not the usual kind of book I read, but it was good.
yrutching is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM

I love this thread too!

GreenBunny, I put A Pocketful of Crows on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 11-04-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I just read The Kite Runner, and I like his writing so much I jumped right into this one.
That's exactly what I did.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 PM

I always look forward to this thread!

I'm in the middle of White Fragility by Robin Diangelo. The rest of the title says it all - "Why it's so hard for white people to talk about racism".

Just finished The Grammarians by Cathleen Schine. Easy read, not the most gripping story but I enjoyed all of the new words I learned and lots of play with vocabulary throughout the book.

I'm also in the middle of Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard. So far so good!

Brain on Fire was very interesting. The true account of a woman who gets a disease that at first presents itself as psychiatric problems.

The Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle was recommended on here, as was The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek. I enjoyed both.

Up next - going to reread The Handmaid's Tale so I can read the sequel! And I'm not so eagerly awaiting book 9 in the Outlander series Go Tell the Bees I am Gone. Hoping and praying it is out by winter break!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Old 11-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Books Iíve recently read (listened to):

I Found You by Lisa Jewel

The Making of Us by Lisa Jewel

A Man Called Ove

The Rosie Project by Graeme

Far from the Tree Robin

The Islanders by Robin

Her Daughterís Mother by Daniela Petrova

Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen by Sarah Bird

Curse of the Pharaohs book 1 and 2 Amelia Peabody stories

The Third Wife

I have actually enjoyed each of them.

I am listening to The Mountain Between Us now.
Firefly_7777 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 PM

My book club is doing an afternoon tea and book exchange for the holidays at the end of this month rather than reading a book. I bought a book I'd been wanting to read and will finish it before I wrap it up for the exchange . It's The Woman in Cabin Ten by Ruth Ware. My mom told me about a year ago how good it was, I put in for it at the library, and there was a HUGE waiting list. By the time it got checked out to me months later I wasn't in a place to have time to read another book and it expired.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote