The VENT

Actual Classroom Instructional minutes

>

Teacherbee_4

Actual Classroom Instructional minutes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious...

When you look at your schedule with the actual start time (taking off time for attendance, lunch count, announcements, etc.) and actual dismissal (taking off the pack up time, etc. time), taking out your recess minutes, lunch/recess minutes, and specials, how many hours a day do you actually have to teach your core subjects?

I don't want to share what I found for fear I will give myself away, but I just did it and it's absurd how little we actually have to instruct. I'm curious how it compares to other schools.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 11-07-2019, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In all honesty...I lose quite a bit. I did the math and I teach 64% of the day if you count independent work times and silent reading in the time I am teaching.

250 a week for specials(PE, Library, Computers)-these are not preps and I have to attend all of them and am not allowed to work on other work but I am not "teaching". WE also have 30 minutes a month of music.

125 minutes a week are lost to transitions into the classroom, out and back from recess, out and back from lunch out and back to a "special" outside the classroom and packing up. This includes taking attendance and announcements since attendance is just a couple minutes and we only have announcements once a week.

250 minutes a week for recess and lunch.

Some of the other non-core subject teaching areas vary A LOT-like art which we can only do if we get to it after we have done all the core instruction.

WE have assemblies and class reward times for things like good attendance at least every other week for 30-45 minutes as well so if we are coming up with a weekly average I'll just subtract 20 minutes

So if school is 1800 minutes a week and we subtract off 645 minutes thats 1155, Now I will divide it by 5 school days a week, and then further divide it by 60 minutes in an hour whats left

3.85 hours of instruction which is 64% of the day... gosh that makes me feel really bad about doing things like silent reading since I already lose almost half my instruction time as it is...but they need the eyes to text time...

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 11-07-2019 at 08:17 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Minutes Per Day
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (420 minutes or 7 hrs.)

During attendance/lunch count, students are engaged in journal writing, math review, or silent reading.

minus 60 minutes per day for specials

minus 45 minutes of lunch/outdoor clothing on/recess - 5 minutes for getting out of outdoor clothing

minus 15 minutes of outdoor clothing on/afternoon recess - 5 minutes for getting out of outdoor clothing

equals 4 hours and 50 minutes
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

day in my class:
starts 8:05, end 3:40
announcements/attendance: 15 minutes
4 recesses+ travel time= 1 hour 20 minutes
lunch= 40 minutes - 30 + travel
specials= 60 minutes- 50 +travel
dismissal/pack up=20 minutes

That equals 3 hours a day gone.
I get 2.25 hours a day to teach 90 minutes of math, 30 minutes of science, 30 minutes of social studies for 1 section and 2.25 hours to do it again for another section. It doesn't add up.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

4 hours.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have 240 minutes of instructional time every day. Depending on the day, sometimes 280.
I only lose 15 minutes a day for transitions.

But that's because I spend the beginning of the year getting routines and procedures down pat.

I do lose a bit of instructional time because I have severe behavioral problems in my classroom. But even then it's only a few minutes.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I probably average 200-240 minutes per day. I actually had more instructional minutes when I taught half day kinder than I do now with a full day.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote