Help

The VENT

Question

>

70Primrose

Question
Old 10-25-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The Is one teacher that my principal is always telling me her stuff is better than mine. ďOh, you should see Xís! You should talk to axís hers is great! I will send you Xís. Now I donít like X! I also feel like giving up trying to do anything! Should I tell my principal what she does is actually not inspiring. Or just keep quiet and feel like crap?

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 10-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were to respond, I'd keep it short & sweet.

Something like:
"I prefer to do what works for me."
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 10-25-2019, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would tell principal "Thanks for letting me know." Then I'd just continue with doing things that work for me
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think any response that implies or states that you don't want to hear about the work of another teacher will just make things worse between you and your principal. She thinks she's offering you advice and a model.

Either ignore the comments or try to figure out what it is the principal thinks she wants from you that isn't being delivered by your teaching style or results. Or find a new school. A principal is like all other bosses. They have some power over their employees.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Insensitive administrators...
Old 10-25-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with a simple thank you and nothing further. At the very least, you can get a window into what this administrator wants or expects which will help with your evaluations.

That being said, I know exactly how you feel. We had one teacher at our grade level who was an excellent teacher, with an ego to match. She was also very outspoken, and the principal looked to her for leadership, overlooking many of the rest of us, including teachers who had more experience. I remember working with her on writing our SGO, and she was the one who received public credit. When I wrote the principal an email telling her that I worked on it also, her answer was, "If it was like Teacher X's, it should be fine."

The net effect for me was I did stop trying as hard as I would have under other principals because I realized that she had judged me as being an effective teacher, never in the highly effective category despite how hard I was working. I felt overlooked many times while Teacher X in my school got accolades and extra professional development opportunities. I also felt that this administrator created a competitive attitude among many staff members who would pair up to distinguish themselves with special projects I knew nothing about. When we had 5 people at the grade level, I felt like the odd man out often.

Just keep trying as hard as you can for your students. You might have to accept that in this principal's eyes you might never get the credit you deserve.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Honesty
Old 10-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would be honest with your principal and tell him/her that these comments hurt your feelings, and it makes you feel disrespected.

You need to put an end to such comments. Honesty is the best policy in this case.
ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You will never win this game. There are always showboat teachers on every staff. Best to just say thanks and then do what you want.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-25-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with annie_g!
Let what she says go in one ear and out the other!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 10-27-2019, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sorry. Your principal is not being helpful or considerate. Sometimes principals allow themselves to rely on certain teachers. You should realize that your principal is being lazy by constantly referring to teacher X and not thinking about what might be helpful or motivating to you as an individual. What do you think would happen if you told your principal? You don't want to put a target on your head. I might consider saying something along the lines of "I know X's thing is great for her, but I really want to work on finding my own path." Good luck.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Litany of Humility
Old 10-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love this prayer, and I think it really helps!

Quote:
O Jesus, meek and humble of heart,

Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being loved,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being extolled,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being honored,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being praised,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred to others,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being consulted,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the desire of being approved,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being despised,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of suffering rebukes,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being calumniated,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being forgotten,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being ridiculed,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being wronged,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

From the fear of being suspected,

Deliver me, O Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I,

Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I,

That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease,

That others may be chosen and I set aside,

That others may be praised and I go unnoticed,

That others may be preferred to me in everything,

That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should,

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-27-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like Cassyree's advice:
Quote:
Either ignore the comments or try to figure out what it is the principal thinks she wants from you that isn't being delivered by your teaching style or results. Or find a new school. A principal is like all other bosses. They have some power over their employees.
Figure out what he likes about the other teachers stuff, and if you have better or better in a different way results, point it out. I wonder if your p senses that you lack confidence when he is doing that to you and is trying to give you better options? I don't know. It would be annoying, but there are only 2 ways to fight it. Either start doing teacher x's stuff, or start bragging about how your stuff is awesome.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Only you can let yourself feel inferior to this teacher and P. If you know your stuff is just as good/good enough then just say thanks, good to know, etc. when P says stuff to you. I personally would not say anything to P about how hurtful these comments are. Can be taken the wrong way and you may be viewed in a negative way--not a team player, can't take constructive criticism, won't take offers of help, etc.....

Now, honestly, if there are nuggets of useful info from this teacher, then take advantage of it. You may be surprised and P will be pleased.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We have an entire grade level like this. The most ridiculous thing is that itís a non testing grade level, but tested grade levels are ďencouragedĒ to follow a lot of what they do. They have a lot of extra time that tested grades donít because they arenít under the constant pressure that testing grades are.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Annex202p

Annex202p

I used to do that
Old 10-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used to teach music lessons and I would tell the kids "oh, you know my other student so and so does so well on this piece." Suffice to say I lost a lot of business until I realized what a dumb teaching mistake that is. Maybe your admin will realize this as well one day.

kitekrazy

Old 10-28-2019, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Another admin that doesn't come across as being remotely close to brilliant. You probably wont be the only victim. What a great way to worsen morale in a profession that doesn't need help in that area.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Should see ... stuff
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Has your principal seen YOUR stuff? My admin was telling me and another teacher about how a PARA did documentation. She even emailed about how great it was.
But-this admin didnít know how I was documenting. In fact, she acted like she didnít know even today. Iíve told her repeatedly. Itís frustrating for sure. This admin is not very organized and forgets her things when leaving meetings etc. I am super organized at work. 25 years experience and donít need to see a paraís way of documenting (paper pencil). I use Google Forms. I document on things I donít even have to document.
My point: say I have looked at hers (you donít really have to) then ask her to see YOURS if you want her to. Or say the way Iím doing it really works great! Care to see?
Mine wonít remember. Oh well, her loss.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote