Help

ARCHIVE

reading help at home

>

istoleahalo

reading help at home
Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a friend with a 1st grade step-daughter who is having dificulties with reading. I usually deal with the older kids (5th, 6th grades) so I'm not sure what to tell him for a little one haha. I have already told him to look at starfall.com, but are there any other good resources, either online or that he can purchase, to help his daughter at home? She isn't far behind, just struggling a bit and they want to make sure she doesn't fall behind. Any suggestions that I could pass on would be awesome! Thanks!

istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

I would suggest
Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the parents work on sight words and read, read, read at home. The Step into Reading books are great. You can get them at the local library and not have to purchase them. The kids go through levels so quickly at this age. They probably won't want to have tons of boods that are to easy. Starfall is a great website. Does the school have any Guided Reading books that can be sent home on a nightly basis? Another thing that helps is to have the children write. Sounds funny doesn't it? You could make a little book out of 1/2 sheets of paper and stapled together - even 6 pages or less. Show her how she can write a story and draw a picture of things that happen in her life. It doesn't matter if the words are not spelled correct. That will come. You want to look to see if She can read her story back to you. You will be able to tell what words she needs help on also.--These are usually the basic sight words.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Practice, practice, practice!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The more exposure she has to reading, the better reader she'll be. If he doesn't mind paying, www.readinga-z.com has leveled readers and benchmarks. There is a good variety of books on every level, and it's very easy to use. There are also worksheets to help with skills. I've used this site for my classroom and I've used it for tutoring in the summer with individual kids. It has just about anything you could need.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote