Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Space Needle

>

Miss C

Space Needle
Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is weird, but I have no one else to ask. I posted earlier about my future SIL and me going on vacation to Seattle. We want to eat at the Space Needle, and we think it would be kind of fun to take our formals and really dress up. But we don't want to feel stupid or out-of-place. Both of us have floor-length dresses with sparkles and the whole bit. Bridesmaid-type dresses. Anyway, does anyone know if that would be appropriate?

Heidi

who cares
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Who cares if it's appropriate. You will have a blast doing it and will remember it forever, even if people stare and point. Do it and enjoy your time!!!

istoleahalo

I agree!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you want to do it and will have fun...GO FOR IT! If anyone asks and you feel awkward, just tell them you have just come from some event where you had to dress up. Enjoy yourself, I'd do it...sounds like fun!
maryteach

maryteach

I think you should do what you want
Old 04-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

but be prepared to find people in shorts and jeans at the Space Needle. I never saw formals there. Also--the food in there is really, really expensive. I'd eat at Ivar's if I was going to go out nice in Seattle (not the Ivar's that's on the pier and is just a stand--I'm talking about sit-down Ivar's. Stupendous! I mean, if I was going to spend the bucks in a town like Seattle, I'd go there.

Whatever you decide to do in Seattle, it's an awesome vacation and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

slooper

space needle food
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not sure if you know, but there is a minimum requirement on the food for the Space Needle. I lived near for about 4 years and if I remember correctly, it was about $30 a person.

Jade

Jade

Space Needle
Old 04-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It has been many years since I was in Seattle, but on my vacation there we had lunch one day in the Space Needle. At that time I think there was a charge to ride the elevator to the observation deck (above the restaurant) but none if you were heading up for a meal--and I think we had to have reservations. We were not wearing anything fancy--tourists, and all--but it was lunch. I had a delicious seafood salad that was large, but indeed very pricey. I don't recall a minimum charge, but things may certainly have changed. You probably know that the restaurant rotates--or at least the outside "wheel" where the tables are located. Our lunch took about an hour, which was enough time for us to make a complete trip around so we saw a 360 degree view of the city. Unfortunately is was one of the many, many foggy/cloudy days and Mt. Ranier was nowhere in sight.

After lunch we went upstairs to the observation level. We watched a young man, possibly Japanese, set up his tripod at various places around the deck and take a picture of himself with the view in the background. Kind of cool! My father had been in the Space Needle when his Navy ship was tied up in Seattle during the World's Fair, so that added to my experience.

I didn't read your earlier post/thread but be sure you ride the Monorail and go to Pike Place Market. That's quite the place. I also went to the aquarium and the Imax--fun, but not unusual. We also ate at some seafood place--could possibly be Ivar's--and I had some wonderful salmon.

I hope to get back there someday.

maryteach

maryteach

The monorail
Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

is no more. There was a pretty bad accident in the past year or so, and they decided to just close it. No one really rode it, and it only went from its origination point to the Space Needle, anyway. I rode the monorail, and it wasn't all that cool. It was like light rail.

Seattle has rain forests (in the middle of the city--SW) that you really need to see. Take a harbor tour. Take a catamarind (sp?) to British Colombia, and watch the whales along the way. Someone above mentioned the Buchtel Gardens, and they're really worth it! You need to go down to the market at the harbor--danged if I can remember what it's called--but it's an eclectic shopping experience. Boeing Field is awesome for looking at the history of aviation, right up to the ACTUAL space capsules. You can also tour the Boeing facility where they make the airplanes. It's the biggest building in the world (square foot-wise), I think. Have lunch on the Sound--again, SW Seattle has wonderful access.

C.

C.

city pass
Old 04-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but if you get a City Pass, you'll save lots of money on different places. Ours included the aquarium, a boat ride, the Space Needle, the Science Museum, and the Plane Museum. We had a blast! Enjoy your time in Seattle!

maryteach

maryteach

Oh C, of course!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How did I space that one out? I completely forgot about the city pass--absolutely, absolutely, it's a great deal. That is exactly what you should do. I forgot all about that!

MKat

Old 04-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The great thing about the NorthWest is that no one cares what you wear! Maybe it's that way all over, I don't know - but here it is quite common to find people in shorts or jeans dining in the same restaurant as people dressed for a formal occasion. I'd wear whatever you want and not worry about it.