Help

ARCHIVE

Bathroom Break..AAHH

>

mydog

Bathroom Break..AAHH
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My third graders should be able to go to the bathroom independently....right??? Well at our school every time a child leaves your room we have to fill out a yellow pass (name,date, where they are going, from what room, time, and signature). If we go together it causes trouble...talking, yelling, etc...however all I do all day is write the yellow passes that "each child must have" or we get in trouble.
No we can't use the regular plastic passes....suggestions please!!
I am just tired of writing passes.

**I think they have bladders the size of a pea.**

Chris

mydog is offline   Reply With Quote

shuntyswife

Maybe
Old 03-27-2008, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you could preprint several with your name, signature, and room # -then have several with bathroom/counselor/office/nurse/etc. That way all you would have to fill in would be their name & the time. You might also give them a set # of passess they are allowed each day, maybe 3 (except for emergencies). Then you could have some ready w/ the kid's name preprinted??

Or you could try having the student fill out their own pass and you sign off on it...
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Wouldn't Be Able to Teach...
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know this sounds extreme, but I had to resort to the extreme when our lessons were constantly interrupted by the pea bladders. (Oh dear, a pun!)

I tell my students that recess is programmed into our schedule to take care of these needs. Since they are going to use class time instead of recess, they have to trade recess time for bathroom time. "Trade me recess" while not grammatically correct seems to have stopped all visits to the bathroom except the true emergencies.

They also can use the bathroom during PE and I do bring them as a group twice during the day. It goes quickly and I really don't have many discipline issues.

I have had a few parents object to this policy because their child had medical issues, so I require a doctor's note verifying the problem. Then the child is allowed to go whenever s/he needs to.
biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had that problem in past years- the weak bladdered group! It drove me totally crazy. Here are some things I have done- we have our economy in my classroom. I can charge the kids $50 in our money if they interrupt. I have also charged the kids laps at recess- if they need to go and it isn't time for a break, they have to walk 4 laps at recess or I would give the worst offender 3 checkers. He had to hand in a checker each time he went. Don't know about anyone else, but when one goes- they all seem to feel the need! For our class breaks, I time them. We have group break rules- if a stall door slams, all kids in that bathroom have to pay $50. Only 4 boys and girls in the bathroom at a time. I don't have bathroom monitors- for me it just turned into a tattle tale session. I am the bathroom monitor. My 25 kids are able to get in, wash up, get a drink and line back up within 4 minutes and 30 seconds. If they beat their previous time, I pay $50. Hope this helps- I don't know about you, but I have SERIOUS feelings of resentment that I NEVER get to go at school and all they have to do is prance a little and look pitiful!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have the kids fill out the yellow tickets and they you would just have to sign them. Are other teachers having the same issue? Can you bring it to the principal's attention?

kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with having a bunch ready so all they have to do is put the time. I have K and I hate taking them as a group. The boys always play. Now I only take them as a group once in the morning before specials. I let them go by tables after lunch 2 boys and 2 girls. I also give them 2 "trips out the door" for restroom or drinks. If they have to go more than that they trade recess time. Of course if a child is obviously sick or has a note from the parent I take that into consideration.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tara

with my 4th graders
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

we discuss the practice of "training" our bladders. We discuss what we do when we go on a trip --go potty before you leave... just in case! We go at designated times because I can't hardly stand to say no. Most kids do well but there are some that just have to go more often. If I had to fill out passes, I know that I would be different about it. You might start having the kids fill everything out except your signature. Good time practice if they have to fill in the time.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote

tlteach

Omg
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is the dumbest thing I've heard. Do they not know you would spend your entire day filling out forms for the bathroom.
I take my class 4 times a day and they usually don't ask to go at different times. I don't know what to tell you other than to have some filled out in advance and then they can fill their name.
I hope they can all write their name next year at the beginning of the year.
tlteach is offline   Reply With Quote

grape82

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have to have our kids sign out before they leave the classroom. The main reason this is being enforced now is because students keep vandalizing our bathrooms (not mine though!). The students are going to the bathroom on the floor and tearing down the paper towel dispensers. It's really sad that it is this way. I feel sorry for my kids because they would rather hold it then go into the gross bathroom.
grape82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

This should be on either Vent or Busy Board
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

MYdog, I can see that you are a relatively new member. You should present this sort of issue on one of the boards that specifically addresses school issues. Vent is a great place to do just as the board name suggests. If you're looking for classroom suggestions, post to Busy Board. You can also go to boards for your grade level. This board specifically addresses personal, not school issues.

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Luckily we don't have to do that
Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

since our district mandates that we must let students go to the bathroom whenever they ask.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Really
Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I couldn't believe the post. I don't have those issues that often (I teach 2nd), but we are required to have two students go. NO student is allowed to go to the restroom alone. That way one can tattle if the other does something wrong or gets in any type of trouble. I take two restroom breaks and one water break only after recess. Usually 30 minutes after recess, I call one group at a time to go the restroom. The first couple of times that I did this, it was chaotic and took a long time. However, after the first week (we didn't start this until January), the time shortened considerably. Now, it takes on longer than 5 minutes. Restroom breaks take up at least 10-15 minutes depending on how many classes are waiting on the restroom. My students do filler work or catch-up work during that time.

To Carolyn, if you don't like the post, why not just leave it alone. You didn't have to come here. No one else posting is having a problem with it.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Let's Play Nice
Old 03-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In all fairness to Carolyn, don't you think she was just trying help out a new member? Some of us who should have known better did not help matters by continuing the post. A good compromise might have been a private e-mail to mydog.

MACMama

I agree
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Carolyn was only trying to help out a new member. I didn't see anything mean in her post. There is a stop button if you believe a post is in the wrong spot. Then the dear editor can move it.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

This IS the Vent Board
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Am I misunderstanding something?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

treetoad
Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

if you see a child wearing a plastic inflatable life preserver you know they are in a certain jr. high room and headed to the restroom. Kids chuckle about it and no passes are needed - if it's not on the hook you don't go until it is.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

bucki

what in the world
Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Isn't this the vent? Didn't Mydog come here to vent about this bathroom problem?

I never knew this board was for personal problems. I thought that was teacher's lounge.

I, too, thought Carolyn's reply souned like she was scolding. I'm chalking it up to not being able to hear tone of voice in a post.
bucki is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Late Comers
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Bucki,

I think this was on another board initially. That's why Carolyn posted what she did. This is the vent board and that's why it moved here.

Since you didn't see the initial post, you would have had no reason do know this.

Sometimes the "tone of voice" is difficult to discern; that is why I prefer assuming she was trying to help instead of scold.

bucki

thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

thanks for clarifying, no wonder I was confused.
bucki is offline   Reply With Quote

tiggerchyck

Piggy Back
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I like the pre-printed idea. However, I would take it one step farther. I would put the student's name on it and depending upon the age, give them a certain number of bathroom passes a day. For example, 4th or 5th gets 2 passes a day. When they have to use the restroom, they place one on your desk or in a baggie to be passed out the next day. Just a suggestion. I hope this helps.
tiggerchyck is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

life preserver
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

LOVED the life preserver idea! Perfect for Jr High! You'd really have to GO to wear that!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote