Help

ARCHIVE

Read Across America Day

>

yowz

Read Across America Day
Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I switched from first grade this year and was wondering what eeryone on here does for Read Across America Day, March 2. I used to Dr. Seuss Stuff all week. Do you think that is inappropriate?

yowz is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 3rd grade and do Dr. Seuss stuff. I just use the more advanced titles, such as Oh, The Places You Will Go, or Bartholomew and The Ooblek. The kids are amazed that there is more to Dr. Seuss than The Cat In The Hat...yet they still love that, too! (Especially struggling readers who are more reluctant to read more challenging text!)

Hope this is helpful,

JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

shazam

definitely ok for third
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are a lot of Dr. Seuss books that are appropriate for third grade. Plus, they still like hearing their old favorites. I usually just read aloud several books throughout the day. Then I have the kids write "If I ran the school". I've seen people do contests for reading the most Dr. Seuss books.
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

kitkat5

Old 02-06-2009, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school has had a Seuss Cafe for the last couple of years where 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders read to their buddies in K, 1st, and 2nd. It is held in the media center which is transformed into a cafe with tablecloths and flowers arranged on tables for 2, 4 or 6. One of the older students is the host/hostess and assigns the customer to their waiter/waitress and leads them to their table. We have menus printed with all the Dr. Seuss books that are available to be read. The older students are the wait staff and wear aprons a to take younger students orders. There are a couple of chefs wearing chef hats and aprons behind a table arranged as a kitchen with all the books. The wait staff brings orders to kitchen and the chefs give them the chosen book. The wait staff then return to their customers with the chosen book on a tray and then they read the book to them. The kids all love this.
kitkat5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

reading marathon
Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My class and another 3rd grade class have a Seuss reading a-thon. We put abig comfy chair out in the hall way and have a 3rd grader reading throughout the day. Kids read for about 15-20 minutes each and we post how long we've read continuosly. The kids like it alot and are amazed at how long they've read. This year part of state testing is the same week so we aren't sure what to do!

Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote