Help

ARCHIVE

Dr. Seuss

>

atrox

Dr. Seuss
Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone want to share some fabulous ideas of how to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday? This is my first year in first grade. I have heard Dr. Seuss' birthday is a big deal. I went to the official Dr. Seuss website...not so much available really. I was surprised. All ideas will be appreciated!!

atrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Smarf4

a few ideas
Old 02-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To get you started, here are a few things I do...

- invite guest readers (parents, staff, buddy class, siblings) to read their favorite Dr. Seuss books to the class
- rotations or centers that have activities and snacks related to his books - like pin the eggs on the plate; make green eggs; eat buttered toast (Butter Battle Book); combine animals to make new animals (Horton Hatches the Egg); make Cat in the Hat or Horton Hears a Who! hats
- sometimes I'll do a packet with word searches, etc.
- have a list of funny words and sayings that kids can add to throughout the day
- end the day with a good half-hour of reading Dr. Seuss books - kids can bring pillows, blankets, towels, and camp out on the floor

There's probably a lot more ideas if you search the PT collections. Hope this helps!
Smarf4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purple Purse

Mrs. Meacham site
Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

wwww.jmeacham.com has a Dr. Seuss section.
Purple Purse is offline   Reply With Quote

Nunziata

Dr. Seuss ideas
Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are a # of things you can do. Most of what I have is at school so I'm going by memory.

Invite parents in to read Dr. Seuss books. Have a Dr. Seuss marathon.

Make a door or poster with Dr. Seuss characters and sayings from books.

On a Dr. Seuss hat worksheet list 100 things you can do.

Did you go to: http://www.seussville.com/games/

They have some worksheets.

Make green eggs and ham with the class in the morning.

On a Dr. Seuss hat worksheet write your own story.
Nunziata is offline   Reply With Quote

yowz

Oobleck and others
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my class we have theme days for each day....

Monday: Crazy Hat day and we read the books: 500 hats of Bartholemew Cummins and/or Cat on the Hat

Tuesday: Crazy Socks Day: Book: Fox in Socks

Wednesday: PJ Day, Book: The Sleep Book, I'm not going to get up today

Thursday: School Colors Day: Book: Hooray for Diffendoofer Day
We write thank you cards to all the people that make our school so special and deliver them. (We make a big list and pull a name/few names out of a Cat in the Hat hat so nobody gets the same person)

Friday: When I grow Up Day: Book: Oh The Places you will go
We write about all the awesome things we will do when we grow up. Also fun could be a book about what it was like/will be like when we are different ages (When I was 0/3/6/10/25/50/100 I could/will do/will look like). The pictures will be awesome.

When read Bartholemew and the Ooblack we make our own OObleck,which is always a hit with the kids. It can be a bit messy. It is the Cornstarch and water mixture that everyone has a different name for. we add green because that is the color of Oobleck.

We have a giant Cat in the Hat on our door, but he is msing his Hat. For each book (or 20 minutes) read by students, a stripe is added.

We make a giant river with blank land all around it. We split the land into sections and groups draw whatever they want on the land. Te last spot of land down river s the farm where the food for all others comes from. Then we read the Lorax. After, we look at the things we drew on our land and look at all the pollution that the things create and added it to the river. It all makes its way to the farm which uses the river as the ater source forhe farm food. Early conservation lessons...

Paper plate turtles that can be stacked for Yertle the turtle.

Discussion about inclusion after reading Sneetches.

Oh my favorite book... Horton Hatches the egg. After reading, students create their own mixed up animal. I don't let them use elephant-bird. Alternative: Students could pick one animal on their own and another out of a hat. They have a ball drawing pictures of these! You could even work in life cycles by having them create the animals life cycle.

yowz is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Yowz
Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are amazing! I love so many of these ideas. I can't wait to try them out!
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

atrox

Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow. Thanks everyone! So many great ideas!

Puppy Scruff

Dr. Seuss Day Ideas
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our Dr. Seuss Day goes like this:
Breakfast of Green Eggs and Ham
Guest readers to read favorite Dr. Seuss books. I break this up by having 1 or 2 read while breakfast is being prepared and then 1 or 2 read after breakfast.
Read-in - the kids bring 2 or 3 of their favorite books (can be Dr. Seuss or not) and a towel. We move the desks out of the way and they spread out and read with their friends. Sooo cute! **I also have some Dr. Seuss themed wordsearches, crossword puzzles, connect the dots, etc. for those who get tired of reading.
Graph our favorite Dr. Seuss book. I choose 4 or 5 books for the kids to choose from.

Hope this helps. Everyone has such great ideas!
Puppy Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote

Kimmeroo

Very simple
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Not overly creative, but the kids loved it when we did this...

Each first grade teacher picked her favorite Dr. Seuss book. Then we rotated classes. My class went to Mrs. A's, Mrs. A's Class went to Mrs. B's, until we ended up with our own class again. That way the kids kept moving and got to have other teachers read to them. It was nice for the teachers too.

Then we came back and graphed our favorite books.

I've also done centers and made the hats, made Oobleck, also made green eggs etc. Nice if you can get parent help to have those!! It can be lots of fun.
Kimmeroo is offline   Reply With Quote

yowz

Places you will go
Old 02-05-2009, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I almost forgot one of my favorite March reading activities. For the whole month, starting March 2ish...
I photocopy a bunch of suitcase pages... four suitcases to a page. On each suitcase there is room for the student to write their name, the title of the book, and where the story takes place.

To start this activity we read Oh the PLaces you Will go. When a student finishes a book at home or school, they take a suitcase and write the info. Then I add the suitcase to their "suitcase collector" loop. Just one of those round clips.

By the end of the month, the student can see all of the places they have been to when they read.

They get a kick of seeing how many places they have been, seeing where their friends have been... You can use it in math too. You can graph the info to see how many different places everyone has been to.

yowz is offline   Reply With Quote

atrox

Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

anyone have any good seuss websites?