Help

ARCHIVE

Oh the gas, the gas, gas, gas, gas

>

TeacherLisa1st

Oh the gas, the gas, gas, gas, gas
Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sorry, had to do the Dr. Seuss reference! I never thought I would have to post a question this silly! Someone in my class has THE WORST gas ever!! Seriously, it is like rotting eggs in my room at least 3 times a day. I think I have narrowed it down to a group, but I'm really not sure who out of the group it is. The smell is always around them, but its not like a dirty clothing or haven't bathed kind of smell, definitely gas.

Well, its so bad that everyone (this is 1st grade too, so they are silly) starts covering their faces when they smell it. Its always silent, but deadly....let me tell you... I scolded them about it until I started smelling it, then I almost wanted to cover my face too!! It was like death. I had to open the window. Now every day is like this. I cannot TAKE IT!! I really think one of the kids has a food allergy or something. I mean, sometimes they fart on purpose, but you couldn't have that awful of gas that often on purpose, could you?

The thing is, how do I handle it with them?? Should I write the parents a note? I already talked to the kids about "If your stomach feels funny PLEASE tell me in private so you can go to the bathroom." They nodded, nothing changed.

TeacherLisa1st is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

tell your class
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

to STOP eating the fiber one bars!!!

Seriously, I don't know what advice to give. Not much you can do about THEIR gas. Do you notice it at certain times of the day? I have one boy who ALWAYS has that kind of gas after lunch recess and always asks if he can go to the bathroom...I say yes almost before he asks!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My only advice as someone who has been in that situation is to find a good airfreshener. Hopefully no one is allergic. I have thankfully lost my sense of smell since I am told one of my K boys reeks on a daily basis.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Groovy Gal

I have no solution but...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have to tell you I am crying with laughter about this. Especially the part "It was like death." And to top it off they are these precious little first graders. Even more to giggle about.

I don't mean to belittle your concern but it is really funny. Thanks for the good laugh.

PS. I probably would tell the nurse and let her talk to the kids or make the parent calls, since it is a health matter.
Groovy Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

jen517

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
since it is a health matter.
Yes, a health matter for TeacherLisa1st!

I had a student like this last year, I knew who it was though! Geez, never did anything for it, just steered clear after lunch! Let me know what you end up doing though for future idea, I'm bound to get another one some day!

jen517 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

Here's what I do
Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

With my most serious teacher face, I tell the class that it is something that really concerns me because it may be a serious health issue and I may need to call the parents because someone may need to see the dr. To find out exactly who the little stinker (hehe) is I ask the kids to write down the name of the person who they think is doing it and to put the paper on my desk. Hope it helps.
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

trtlgrl

move them around?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I noticed that you said you have narrowed it down to one group. Does that mean you have your desks arranged in groups? If so, move each of those under suspicion to a different area of the room or different group and see where the smell follows!
trtlgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

While I have no advice to offer, as I read your question and the responses, I can't help but reflect that it takes great people to do our job! And only those of us in the profession understand.
God love 'ya!
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnlots

a good laugh!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't have any advice and don't want to take away from the seriousness of the matter but I wanted to say I had a good laugh reading this thread. And I needed one today too!!!! Thanks and I do hope you find the little stinker!!!
teachnlots is offline   Reply With Quote

tiggerchyck

Lol
Old 04-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have really any good advice... just a story to add to the mix.

I once had a student that had horrible gas (4th grade). I told him that if he needed to pass gas to "please excuse yourself from small group". Well, the next day, he excused himself and opened the classroom door. Next, he stuck just his behind out the door and farted... I almost peed (spelling) myself... but the best part of it was, my I.A. was sitting outside the door working with a child and got farted on. It was hilarious!!!

tiggerchyck is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was going to suggest what MaryMac said or what trtlgrl said. I think if they know you are concerned about their health, they won't find it such an issue and would like to help out. Until then, steer clear and invest in a good air freshener!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherLisa1st

Old 04-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try anything at this point!!

I'm glad I gave everybody a good laugh.
TeacherLisa1st is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

hilarious!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

! Tiggerchyck that is tooooooo funny!!!! I have had years like this as well and sometimes a little embarassment will help. Good luck with your stinky situation!
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

City Mouse

Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Tiggerchyck,
That was SOOO funny!! I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while! I can just picture a couple of my kids doing the exact same thing you described. I was sitting there imagining the faces of the people that walked down the hall after that(and of your IA as soon as they realized what happened)

TeacherLisa,
I don't really have any advice, but I have a couple stinkers like that too that I can't quite narrow down. I also have some that do it loudly and cause chaos in my room. The other kids have gotten a lot better about ignoring it since I've told them that it is a fact of nature and it's bound to happen once in a while though.
Good luck, I hope you find your stinker and solve the problem!!
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have one in my class too, but it is a 5th grader! It is BAD> Seriously, like 5 times in an hour. I knew who is was (he made a big deal of it, which did not help!) and talked to him about how I was concerned about his health, seriously. Turns out he said his mom has him eating healthy with lots of vegetables and beans. I told him in that case, it should get better as his body gets used to it, but in the meantime, when he felt one coming on, quietly go to the door (our classrooms all open up outside), release the gas and come back in. It took a week before I could get him to do it without calling out "UH OH!" and walking funny to the door. WHY a 10yo would want everyone to know he is about to fart is totally beyond me. Especially since he is *not* a popular kid.

I think separating them to find out who it is is a good idea, along with expressing your concern for the child's health!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

my little stinkers
Old 04-06-2008, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have 3rd graders and my room smells awful. My co-workers tease me because they can't walk into my room during the day. I have three kids with severe allergies, so I can't have any air fresheners in my room. I just dread it when beans are on the menu for lunch!

My grade level partner walked in the other morning and my kids had only been in the room about 20 minutes. She turned around and left! It's about 3 or 4 kids. (One of them is a child I have to sit beside during assemblies or programs because they need that close proximity for behavior issues -- but oh, my, goodness, some days I would rather be able to breathe!)

ugh
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote