Help

Social Studies

9/11 Ideas

>

sdgirl

9/11 Ideas
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any 9/11 ideas for upper elementary? I haven't taught social studies in a few years and am searching for good ways to commemorate this day.

sdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

My way
Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I retell the day as I remember it. It isn't hard to get the kids interested. They feel my emotion. I make it very clear that even though I was 3,000 miles away and didn't know anyone there it is the only day of my life that I can pretty much retell from the moment I woke up until the moment I went to sleep. Sometimes I'll read them short stories from a few books I have on the various heroic acts of the day.

Keep in mind that kids now really don't remember it at all and they remember it a little less every year that passes (kind of like our society unfortunately). Telling your story really sells it as a real day to them.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

miker

In my school....
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...being 15 miles away from Ground Zero, we still have students who had parents and other family members who died that day. We have our guidance dept. speak to each of the families to ask them how they want us to handle it. Many of them keep their kids home that day.
miker is offline   Reply With Quote